Be it Bollywood or Hollywood – in the world of showbiz, several marriages are crumbling. Actress Soha Ali Khan, who recently got engaged to her beau Kunal Kemmu, says the key to a healthy relationship is to “work around the dissatisfactions” as nothing is perfect.
The actors got engaged in Paris recently, and they are yet to decide on their nuptials. In a tete-a-tete, Soha spoke about relationships and her idea of marriage. Excerpts:
Q. Many marriages in showbiz are crumbling. Does that scare you?
A. I’ve always felt when you are committed in a relationship, you’ve to work through the difficult times. I’ve seen my parents (Sharmila Tagore and late Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi) in a successful solid marriage for 44 years. I am sure they had their problems. They were completely different personalities. But they must have worked on their marriage. And they made it work. I never felt any insecurity regarding my parents’ marriage. I think they handled their issues and the public face of their marriage was so dignified.
Q. Then how according to you, does a modern marriage work?
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
A. There is no perfect relationship. You have to work around the dissatisfaction. One reason why marriages break faster now is because people live longer. Earlier people died at 60. Now they live to be a 100, so all that more time to spend in a marriage. How many years can you live happily in one relationship? You need to have a sense of commitment, maturity and infinite patience to make a marriage last.
In Pics: Soha-Kunal, Bipasha-Harman: Bollywood celebs likely to tie the knot soon
Q. Are you arguing against marrying Kunal?
A. To keep a relationship going in today’s day and age is very difficult. I’d like to think if my relationship has worked for five years, it’s permanent. We are all so self-centred. So am I. To give that much to a relationship is very difficult.
Q. Would you be able to do it?
A. My happiness always came first. But now to make Kunal happy makes me happier. But ultimately, I don’t know how much I can sacrifice for anyone else. I always said we should not take the relationship for granted. We need to continue to communicate our feelings about one another, no matter what its repercussions.
Only an honest approach can keep a relationship going. I’ve seen the dignity that my parents brought into their marriage. If I am a secure person today it’s because of the marriage that my parents shared. I’d certainly want my child to feel the same sense of security.