Bollywood filmmaker Zoya Akhtar on Monday (January 25) termed the state censoring a piece of work as “bizarre” and called for stricter law enforcement.
“The state censoring a piece of work is bizarre because every time the government changes, the morality changes. So it doesn’t make sense.
“We need to enforce the law that if it’s an adult film, then children don’t go and watch the film, which happens everywhere in our country,” Akhtar explained during an audience interaction at the Kolkata Literary Meet.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
She also said parents have a responsibility to know what their children should not watch.
Asked about her views on censorship, the “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” director supported the choice of filmmakers to make an adult or universal film.
“I don’t believe in censorship at all. I think it is a certification body. I think it has to be classified ‘If you show this, this is your rating’.
“It is the filmmaker’s choice whether he or she wants to make an adult film or universal film and then self censor.”