Actress Sonam Kapoor was initially apprehensive to take up the role in ‘Khoobsurat’ remake as she did not want to be compared to Rekha, who starred in the original 1980 film.
“I was a little nervous to step into the shoes of Rekhaji. I was doubtful at first because comparisons will be there as Rekhaji had done the film so brilliantly and people will question how I will do it. But after reading the script, I was a bit relaxed. I found the character to be female-driven, it is an author backed role,” Sonam told PTI.
“There is not much that I have taken from her character as my role is quite different from the original,” she said.
The 29-year-old actress plans to show the film to the veteran actress.
“When I told her about this film (remake of ‘Khoobsurat’) she gave me her blessings. She is excited about the film. She is a close friend and we show her all our films,” Sonam added.
In real life, Sonam says she is more like her character Mili.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“None of my characters in the films that I have done so far are close to me but this one is. ‘Khoobsurat’ is more like me. Rhea (producer sister) and Shashanka Ghosh (director) very sneakily worked on the role. I was not aware about it till I read the first draft. This is the first time the character was written specifically for me,” Sonam said.
“Initially, I was upset as everyone watching the film will think I am very clumsy and crazy. After ‘Aisha’ people felt I was like that character which was not the case,” she said.
Sonam is known for her ‘bindaas’ attitude and fashionista image more than her film roles but the actress says she won’t change herself for anyone.
“I don’t think I fit in this industry or anywhere. I wear weird clothes and say weird things. I don’t follow the norms. I think one has to be original to stand out… form your own path rather than following someone else’s path,” she said.
Set in Rajasthan, ‘Khoobsurat’ is the story of Dr Mili Chakravarty played by Sonam Kapoor – a middle class physiotherapist from Delhi.
Mili is sent to Rajasthan to treat the paraplegic Shekhar Rathore, Raja of Sambalgarh. Over the course of her stay in the mahal, Mili charms the Rathore family, especially young Yuvraj Singh Rathore, essayed by Pakistani actor Fawad Khan, with her free spirit and funny antics.
Sonam says they have retained the title of the original film and its essence but the story is completely different.
“The premise of the story is same like that of the original ‘Khoobsurat’ — a girl comes and changes the atmosphere and thinking of a family. The basic idea is same but the entire story is different. We have taken inspiration from all Hrishkesh Mukherjee’s films and through this film we are paying tribute to him,” she said.
In this film, Sonam will be seen romancing Fawad Khan, who is making his debut in Bollywood. Thanks to his performances in films and TV shows in Pakistan, Fawad is more popular here.
“He suits the role and hence he is part of the film. I think there should not be any cultural differences when it comes to art and films. He is an amazing actor and I had good time working with him,” she said.
The film also stars Kirron Kher, Ratna Pathak Shah and Aamir Raza Husain.
The film directed by Shashanka Ghosh will release on September 19.