Vikas Bahl, who helmed the coming-of-age ‘Chillar Party’ and last year’s surprise hit ‘Queen’, seems to have lost his Midas Touch, as his recent directorial ‘Shaandaar’ has crashed on its second day. The Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt starrer, which managed to rake in Rs 13.1 cr on day one, earned a mere Rs 7 cr on day two.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh took to Twitter to share the information.
#Shaandaar Thu 13.10 cr, Fri 7.55 cr. Total: ₹ 20.65 cr. India biz.
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) October 24, 2015
Shahid Kapoor, who tasted success last year with Vishal Bharadwaj’s directorial ‘Haider’ and Alia, with Imtiaz Ali’s ‘Highway’, had promoted the movie well ensuring that the audiences flock in great numbers to the theatres.
Accompanying them to the various promotional events was their director Vikas Bahl. The movie, hence, opened well and became the highest opening day grosser for Shahid and Alia individually.
- Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt's not-so 'Shaandaar' box office collection, earns Rs 33.51 cr on first weekend
- Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt's 'Shaandaar' earns Rs 13.1 cr on its opening day
- It's a Shaandaar Day: Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt starrer releases today
- Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt look good on screen: Vikas Bahl
- Alia Bhatt sad to wrap up ‘Shaandaar’ shoot
- Alia Bhatt reveals the 'Shaandaar' look of her film with Shahid Kapoor
But having opened to mixed reviews, both from the critics and the audiences, the movie saw a dip on Friday, owing perhaps to a poor word of mouth.
Indian Express critic Shubhra Gupta opines about ‘Shaandaar’: “Costumery and puffery may work with other actors, but it is wrong for Alia. Underneath it all, she knows she is real, and she can’t help letting us in on her. But here, she’s been made to play so determinedly cute that she sinks into a set of mumbled mannerisms. And using her own name so soon in? There’s a problem right there.
Shahid suffers from a badly-written character. He can be such a natural charmer, but here the charm offensive is not allowed to stop, and finally just overtakes him.”