If there’s anybody who can be quoted as forming the ideal antithesis to the modern day definition of filmstars, it’s Shah Rukh Khan, for if you chalk out the one-liners he says, and the ease with which he mouths them, you’ll be left wondering in awe.
Be it his recent speech at the University of Edinburgh or his daily interactions with the media, Shah Rukh Khan is the king of quotable quotes. Not only does he say the wittiest of things when he’s required to, he does it within fractions of seconds. Even megastar Amitabh Bachchan is a fan of the ‘speed with which SRK’s brain works,’ as he was quoted as saying in an episode of ‘Koffee With Karan’.
The “master of words” – Shah Rukh Khan turns 50 today and as a special gift to his fans on the occasion, here are some of the best quotes and comebacks from him.
– Let’s begin with his speech at the University of Edinburgh only. He was class personified when he spoke at the dais, for not only he made his speech interesting by intercepting it with instances from his movies, but also his effervescent smile and the very popular ‘Lungi Dance’ at the end was a cherry on the cake.
SRK began his speech with reference to the plot of one of his earliest movies – ‘Deewana’. And his lessson was: “There’s no such thing as ‘normal’. That’s just another word for lifeless. Madness (of the particularly nice/romantic kind) is an absolute prerequisite to a happy and successful life. Don’t ever treat your little insanities as if they are aberrations that ought to be hidden from the rest of the world. All the most beautiful people in the world, the most creative, the ones who led revolutions, who discovered and invented things, did so because they embraced their own idiosyncrasies.”
Just the kinds we expect from ‘King Khan’.
– SRK hasn’t become a philosopher just like that. It’s the dint of his hard work that has brought him here. And thereby, he advises others to do the same. He says, “Don’t become a philosopher before you become rich.” Point taken, SRK.
– It’s often said that one fine night, at the Mumbai bandstand, SRK climbed the pavement and said, “One day, I am going to rule this city.” And he did. Biggest lesson: Live now, live today -don’t be bound by rules, live your own dream.”
– Moving on to some funny ones, we have the best answer any celebrity can give to the media asking some not-so-pleasing questions. When SRK was asked, “Salman Khan was moved to tears during your stage appearance together at Sensations 2005, when you said kind words about him. Is your relationship going well now?” SRK replied: “Yeah, it’s going really well. We’re planning to have a baby together soon.”
– At the launch of one of the seasons of IPL, as SRK owns Team KKR, Mandira Bedi asked him, “Do you think having Shilpa Shetty (Rajasthan Royals) and Preity Zinta (Kings XI Punjab) as rival team owners will sour their relations with you?”
SRK, who has worked with Mandira in the cult classic ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’, had a perfect reply: “Well, I hope not. You see, I started both their careers. And as far as I can remember, I started yours too.”
And yes, all this in just a fraction of second.
– SRK has always been seen tweeting about his kids. So, has it affected his career? The witty star has an answer. “Yeah, I treat all my heroines as my kids now. I pick them up, cuddle them. I call them baby…”
We are floored!
– One fangirl asked Shah Rukh Khan a very insightful question at an event.
Reporter: You are so good looking. Do you wake up like this?
SRK: No. I have to go through plastic surgery every morning.
– And for all those who still thought SRK was a star, not an actor, he has a perfect comeback.
Reporter: When will you start making different movies? Better movies?
SRK: When will you start asking different questions? Better questions?
– So when his friend and filmmaker Karan Johar asked him what his reaction would be if one fine day he wakes up and finds out that he has turned into Aamir Khan? SRK said, “Shah Rukh Khan is a better actor.” Take that, naysayers!
– The most random and yet, the most insightful. SRK was once quoted as saying, “I’m like a Rolls Royce which can run without an engine, just on reputation.”
– Ask him about his sexuality, SRK says, “I’m not a bisexual. I am a Tri-Sexual. I try everything.”
– And the best for the last.
“Whenever I start feeling too arrogant about myself, I take a trip to the US. The immigration guys kick the star out of my stardom…” Well said!
We are a fan, SRK!