After weeks of deliberation Sooraj Barjatya has agreed to cut some of the precious footage from his Diwali release Prem Ratan Dhan Payo.
According to sources close to the project, the film’s length is now down by 30 mins from the original 3 hours 20 mins. However, the running time of PRDP still stands at 7 minutes more than Salman’s previous release Bajrangi Bhaijaan which was 2 hours 43 minutes long.
Taken together, the two Salman Khan starrers this year are of a longer duration than all the other films of the other A-list actors this year.
Sales are expected to get hit by the inordinate running time. Many feel Ajay Devgn’s Drishyam released earlier this year would have performed much better if it had not been nearly three hours in length.
- Happy birthday Salman Khan: A non-Bhai fan lists five of his better performances
- Before Tiger Zinda Hai, here's how Salman Khan's last five films have performed at the box office
- Salman Khan starrer 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' making, trivia to release online as web-episode
- Aamir Khan wishes Salman Khan, Sonam Kapoor great success for 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo'
- Salman Khan to hold special screening of 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' for Madhuri Dixit, Bhagyashree
- Salman Khan, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo director Sooraj Barjatya share an 'eternal bond' of 25 years
On the other hand, who cares how long a film is as long as Salman Khan is in it?
Trade expert Atul Mohan thinks the length of the film to be no problem at all. “Everybody wants more and more of Salman Khan. Such is his magic and power. Coming with Sooraj Barjatya after a long time the magic is bound to cast its potent spell on the box office.”
Atul also feels family drama need to take their time to make their point. “A larger than life family drama can never be enjoyed within a smaller time-frame. Family movies are made in very very less numbers now. They bring that much-needed change from our selfie-styled living in present times.”