A sessions court is all set to deliver its verdict on Wednesday (May 6) in the hit-and-run case involving Salman Khan, who is charged with killing one person and injuring four by ramming his SUV into a bakery shop in suburban Bandra 13 years ago. Police have geared up to provide tight security in the court to restrain the actor’s fans from entering the premises with a view to avoiding overcrowding, sessions court sources said. Only media persons, lawyers and the court staff would be allowed inside the court, the sources said.
Judge D W Deshpande had declared last month that he would pronounce the verdict on May 6. He also summoned the actor to remain present in the court at 11.15 AM on the day.
Salman Khan’s two upcoming films, ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ which stars Kareena Kapoor and ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo’ opposite Sonam Kapoor, are currently in the last “schedule” of shooting. The 49-year-old actor recently shot for ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ in Kashmir. Amod Mehra, a trade analyst, said “Salman had committed to do four others films, including ‘Dabang 3’ and ‘Entry Mein No Entry’, but these were only at the stage of announcement. In all, an investment of Rs 200 crore is riding on Salman, who has delivered a string of box office successes in the last few years.”
According to the prosecution, Salman Khan’s rash driving claimed the life of Nurullah Mehboob Sharif and injured Kalim Mohammed Pathan, Munna Malai Khan, Abdullah Rauf Shaikh and Muslim Shaikh. However, Salman Khan claimed that he was not driving the Toyota Land Cruiser and it was his driver Ashok Singh who was behind the wheel. The prosecution also alleged that Khan was driving the car without holding a licence. It produced RTO records to show that the actor had procured a licence only in 2004, two years after the mishap.
Salman Khan’s is currently shooting ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ and ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo’. He had committed to do four others films, including ‘Dabang 3’, ‘Entry Mein No Entry’, ‘Shuddhi’ and ‘Sultan’. An investment of Rs 200 crore is riding on Salman.