Bollywood celebrities and Salman Khan‘s legions of fans are upset with the five-year jail term for the actor in the 2002 hit-and-run case but many on social media have defended the verdict.
While Salman’s fans were staunchly defending him, citing his many humanitarian efforts and good work, they were at the receiving end of others’ wrath, who said that the law should take its own course irrespective of the profile of the convict.
The 49-year-old actor, who is at the peak of his career and is considered the most bankable superstar in the industry with his films earning beyond 100 crores, was convicted of culpable homicide not amounting to murder in the case.
It is a big blow for the actor and his stardom as two of his big budget films “Bajrangi Bhaijaan” and “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo” are yet to complete, while projects like “Sultaan”, “Dabangg”, “No Entry Mein Entry” and “Shuddhi” apart from his endorsements deals face an uncertain future.
- VIDEO: Tiger Zinda Hai's SPOOF pokes fun at Salman Khan's BLACKBUCK hunting case
- Hit-and-run case: SC to hear Maharashtra govt's plea against Salman Khan's acquittal
- Hit-and-run irony: Salman Khan just inaugurated a 'driving school', and Twitterati can't stop cracking jokes
- Raj Thackeray, Nitesh Rane visit Salman Khan
- Salman Khan has Rs 200 crores riding on him
- Twitterati reach out to Salman Khan before hit-and-run verdict
Hashtags like WeStandBySalman and SalmanVerdict have been trending on Twitter with people arguing for and against the actor.
“You do something wrong, you pay for it. It’s as simple as that. #SalmanVerdict,” wrote a user.
“I am a die hard fan of Salman but it does not mean he should not b punished for d wrongs he did. Am Happy Justice prevailed #SalmanVerdict,” tweeted another user.
“Why do bad things happen to good people @BeingSalmanKhan you are a gem of a person! I stand by you no matter what! Stay strong! #SalmanVerdict,” said a supporter.
“It’s not that I am not sympathizing with the victim but I am not feeling good for Salman! #SalmanVerdict #SalmanJudgementDay,” a fan wrote.