One of the key witnesses in the 2002 hit-and-run case involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan has allegedly received “threat” calls asking him to accept Rs 5 lakh for “staying away” from the case, police said on May 6.
The witness, Muslim Shaikh, received two phone calls on Sunday night from an unidentified person who asked him to accept Rs five lakh and keep away from the case, a police officer told PTI.
The incident was brought to the notice of the court trying the hit-and-run case, which in turn asked cops to conduct inquiry and submit a report before it on May 19.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The unidentified caller told the witness that ‘paanch lakh le lo aur bhag jao’ (take Rs five lakh and run away),” said a police officer.
However, even after Shaikh disconnected the call, he got another call in which the person repeated the offer, following which Shaikh disconnected the phone call again. The caller rang him up again but Shaikh did not attend the phone call, the officer added.
“Preliminary inquiry suggested the unidentified caller could (be) a lawyer,” police sources said while refusing to divulge details.
Earlier in the day, Shaikh and two other witnesses identified Salman Khan saying they had seen him getting down from the car which had met with an accident in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002.
The witnesses were among the injured who were run over by the car when they were sleeping on a footpath near American
Express Bakery on that day.
The court is conducting the re-trial of this case after the charges of culpable homicide were added recently.
One person was killed and four persons injured in the incident after which police booked Salman Khan on the charge of rash and negligent driving, besides other charges.
Recently, an additional charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was slapped against the actor. The charge attracts jail term of ten years.