Paying tributes to late Oscar-winning actor-filmmaker Richard Attenborough Monday, Indian celebrities like Anil Kapoor and Shobhaa De recalled the importance of his monumental film “Gandhi”, which brought Mahatma Gandhi’s life story alive cinematically for the generations to come.
Attenborough died in London on Sunday night following prolonged illness. He was 90. His 1982 film, “Gandhi”, which won him two Oscars, is a biopic on Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, who led India’s non-violent independence movement against British rule.
It featured a host of Indian actors including Rohini Hattangadi, Om Puri, Alyque Padamsee, Alok Nath and Roshan Seth.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Here’s what some celebrities had to say on Twitter in rememberance of the filmmaker, who, according to Shoojit Sircar, gave the world, “the only biopic we’re proud of”.
Alok Nath: The man who reinvented the Mahatma for the whole world to see & know, director of my debut film GANDHI sir Richard Attenborough rest in peace sir.
Anil Kapoor: I learnt more about the Mahatma from Attenborough’s Gandhi than the history lessons in school. Unforgettable, honest & inspirational!
Anupam Kher: Had the honour of meeting Sir Richard Attenborough during the casting of GANDHI. He was a wonderful human being & a Great director. RIP
Shobhaa De: Richard Attenborough convinced the world that a Mahatma did indeed walk the earth. R.I.P.
Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra: One of the greats of cinema Lord Attenborough is no more Brighton Rock to Jurassic park. A bridge to far to Gandhi — He lives for ever.
Rahul Bose: Still remember Richard Attenborough’s tribute to Mahatma Gandhi when ‘Gandhi’ won best film at the Oscars. R.I.P.
Shoojit Sircar: Rip Richard Attenborough…dies at 90…directed “Gandhi”…the only biopic we are proud of.
Sangeeth Sivan: RIP #RichardAttenborough…1923-2014. Actor, Director & a great human being. He will live on in our hearts.
Vinay Pathak: Richard Attenborough. REST IN PEACE !
Milap Zaveri: RIP Sir Richard Attenborough…Now the “Mahatma” can personally congratulate you in heaven for telling his story so brilliantly.
Sanjay Gupta: HE MADE MY FAVOURITE INDIAN FILM – GANDHI. RIP. Lord Richard Attenborough Passes Away at 90.
Atul Kasbekar: RIP Sir Richard Attenborough. And thank you for making ‘Gandhi’