Noted journalist Chaitanya Padukone, who shared a close bond with legendary music director R D Burman, has authored a book “R.D. BurMania –Panchamemoirs” which depicts the journey of the late musician.
Tomorrow is the birth anniversary of Burman, popularly known as ‘Pancham Da’.
The author-film journalist began his career with an interview of Burman, after the latter won his first Filmfare award.
“Creativity cannot exist in a vacuum (and) you need to be inspired by almost every sound that you hear, the bizarre the better,” Burman had told Padukone in the interview during one of his song-recording session.
The book “R.D. BurMania –Panchamemoirs” attempts to string together amazing, amusing and agonising yet fascinating anecdotes, incidents and idiosyncrasies while unravelling the mystique behind Bollywood’s most adored composer.
- Asha Bhosle at 84: The Bollywood legend who was once the perennial ‘Number 2’ (after Lata Mangeshkar) is second to none today
- When RD Burman composed Ek Ladki Ko Dekha in front of Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- R.D. Burman a futuristic genius who knew pulse of masses
- Remembering Pancham da: Rahul Dev Burman's musical legacy lives on
- Ashutosh Gowariker unveils collection of R.D. Burman's interviews
- Special film for R D Burman's 75th birth anniversary
“It’s my passionate yet humble token of a ‘Gurudakshina’ to my ‘Guru’ (teacher) Rahul Dev Burman. I started my film-journalism career with my idol R D Burman’s interview and he had been like a guiding star to me,” Padukone told PTI.
Padukone has included quotes on ‘Pancham Da’ as shared by a galaxy of celebrities like late Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeshkar, A R Rahman, Asha Bhosle, Rishi Kapoor, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Zeenat Aman, Hema Malini, Mahesh Bhatt, Pyarelal Sharma, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Talat Aziz, Sonu Nigam, Himesh Reshammiya and others.
“From the film industry almost everyone supported me, especially the seasoned playback singers and his team of senior musicians,” Padukone added.
Besides this, the book will also have candid and posed pictures of Burman.