Reacting to the issue raised by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) over a Rupa Frontline advertisement featuring actor Ranveer Singh thrashing a shark, the brand’s spokesperson said that the visuals were not intended to offend anyone, and added that a disclaimer would soon be attached to the commercial.
The recent advertisement garnered negative response due to visuals showing Ranveer Singh taking a dive into an ocean to save a girl from a shark and beating up a shark to portray his masculinity.
- IPL 2018 opening ceremony: Ranveer Singh backs out, Varun Dhawan and Hrithik Roshan all set to rock the show
- Ranveer Singh to continue with Gully Boy shoot despite shoulder injury
- R Madhavan on not being part of Rohit Shetty’s Simmba: It breaks my heart
- Ranveer Singh on working with Rohit Shetty in Simmba: I was born to do masala films
- PETA criticises Ranveer Singh’s shark ad
- Ranveer Singh takes ‘swag’ to a different level in this ad for a famous vest brand
“This is to clarify that the shark shown in the latest Rupa commercial featuring Ranveer Singh is a rubber toy, no animal was used in the shoot. It is not our intention to hurt anyone’s sentiment. We will be adding a disclaimer to the ad to this effect,” said Mukesh Agarwal, whole-time director, Rupa & Co. Ltd. brand’s spokesperson, in a statement.
While condemning the advertisement, the animal rights organisation raised concerns and said it plans to take the matter forward by writing to the actor and the brand.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, Poorva Joshipura, PETA India CEO, said: “PETA will be writing to Rupa Frontline and Ranveer Singh to share our concerns on behalf of sharks and today’s socially aware youth.”