From a doting mother, managing her showbiz career to evolving as an activist, actress Madhuri Dixit Nene says in every phase of her life, her husband Sriram Madhav Nene has been her support system.
The “Dedh Ishqiya” actress, who is going strong with her dentist husband from last 16 years, said respect is the key to their relationship.
“He always supports whatever I do and I also support him in his every step. So, it’s on equal footing. And my kids see that day in and day out. Of course, I want them to learn to respect everyone,” Madhuri said during a session at the “Women In the World” summit.
From a while, the 48-year-old actress has been putting her weight behind gender issues be it “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” or Vogue empowerment.
“I grew up in a family of three sisters and one brother. We were always treated equally in our house. So, when I saw disparity around me I thought I should do something to eradicate it,” said the UNICEF celebrity advocate.
- Jacqueline Fernandez on recreating “Ek Do Teen”: You cannot replicate someone like Madhuri Dixit
- Bringing on Priyanka Chopra for series inspired by my life perfect: Madhuri Dixit Nene
- Madhuri Dixit Nene launches clothing line
- Madhuri Dixit remembers long-distance relationship days on ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 7’
- Family is important to me,my priority is that: Madhuri Dixit
- Madhuri Dixit: My sons and husband love dancing
After being a part of such issues, Madhuri’s choice of films has also changed as the actress now prefers portraying strong female characters.
“When you begin your career, you have to do whatever comes your way because you haven’t proven yourself. Once you reach there, people start trusting your abilities. So, I just grabbed those strong roles in ‘Gulab Gang’ and ‘Dedh Ishqiya’.”
The actress added in the past too she stroke a balance between being an eye candy to a crusader.
“So, when I did a ‘Hum Aapke Hai Kaun’, I have ‘Mrityudand’… For ‘Dil to Pagal Hai’, I have ‘Pukaar’. So, I was never hesitant to do a role where a woman is put at the centre and she is shown in a very powerful way.”