A police case was registered here Sunday against filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma for his objectionable tweets on Lord Ganesh.
On a complaint by lawyer Karuna Sagar, a case was filed against Varma at the Saroornagar police station in Cyberabad.
“We have registered a case against Varma. We will seek legal opinion before proceeding further in the case,” Saroornagar police inspector B. Naveen Reddy told IANS.
The filmmaker was booked under four sections of the Indian Penal Code – sections 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 505 (statements conducing to public mischief), and 298 (hurting religious feelings).
The complainant alleged that Varma hurt the religious sentiments of Hindus by insulting Lord Ganesh through his series of tweets.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Several police complaints were also filed against Varma in Mumbai for his objectionable remarks on Lord Ganesh, though he apologised for thesen later.
On Aug 28, a day before the 11-day Ganeshotsav began in Mumbai, Hyderabad and other places, the filmmaker posted a series of tweets about Lord Ganesh.
The next day, he gave a clarification, saying they were made in a usual manner.
“All tweets I put on Ganesha were in my usual manner but unintended by me to hurt anyone’s sentiments… but if they did I sincerely apologise,” he tweeted Saturday.