- Baadshaho song Socha Hai: Thanks for not spoiling Kishore Kumar’s hit track Kehdoon Tumhen but when will Bollywood stop recreating old tracks?
- My films haven’t been doing well but this is the best time in my career: Emraan Hashmi
- Emraan Hashmi on films failing at box office: I am very hopeful and excited about Baadshaho
After playing a man overpowered by witches and an amnesia patient in his last two ventures, actor Emraan Hashmi is back to playing a mischief-maker on-screen in ‘Raja Natwarlal’, which he says is not a superficial con film.
The 35-year-old actor has donned the role of a scamster in the Kunal Deshmukh-directed film and he says unlike other con films made in Bollywood, this movie is real and dramatic.
“I would never do a con film because I find them very superficial, but this one has a heart, a soul and emotions flowing in. There is a dramatic reason for the character to play a scamster. So, that’s what I liked,” Hashmi told PTI.
The actor, whose last couple of movies- ‘Ek Thi Daayan and ‘Ghanchakkar’- were serious thrillers, says he is happy to finally star in a full-fledged, entertaining, commercial film which he enjoys doing the most.
“It is about giving the audience the ‘paisa vasool’ cinema. I am coming back to the basics with this commercial masala, entertainer. And my audience somehow was missing out on that for the longest time. So this is a gift to them,” he said.
‘Raja Natwarlal’ is the fourth collaboration between Hashmi and Deshmukh- the duo have previously worked in films like ‘Jannat’, ‘Tum Mile’ and ‘Jannat 2’. Hashmi says the reason they share a great rapport is because both he and Deshmukh have the same taste in films.
“I have known him for almost 10 years. He has grown as a director. He was an assistant director on my second film. He has come of age as director, as a technician, as a story-teller. We have a rapport, we have the same liking as far as cinema goes, and I think it will reflect in the film,” Hashmi said.
The film also stars Pakistani actress Humaima Malik, Paresh Rawal and Kay Kay Menon and will hit theatres on August 29.
‘Raja Natwarlal’ will be Hashmi’s first release of 2014, more than a year post the release of his last venture ‘Ghanchakkar’. When asked if he has been taking things slowly off-late, the actor said, “Not really, this film took this much time to make. But I have not been taking things slowly. I have been shooting for other films.”
Hashmi will be next seen in Rensil D’Silva’s ‘Ungli’, which comes out in November. He also stars in internationally acclaimed director Danis Tanovic’s ‘White Lies’. “‘White Lies’ is complete. It is a controversial film. We are going to make an announcement soon regarding the road-map of the film,” Hashmi said.
The actor, who is currently shooting for Vikram Bhatt’s ‘Mr X’, was recently embroiled in a controversy with his uncle, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, after Hashmi cancelled the shooting of the thriller in order to promote ‘Raja Natwarlal’.
“It is unforeseen that I had to allot these dates now. I would not have done that otherwise. I am kind of promoting in the day and shooting at night for that film,” Hashmi said. PTI