“Saala Khadoos” actor-producer R. Madhavan expected a woman to come up with a relationship-based or women’s liberation script but was surprised when Sudha Kongara Prasad came up with one on boxing.
“I knew Sudha because she has been an assistant to Mani Ratnam and we have worked together numerous times where she was the assistant director and I was the ‘star’. When I was told that Sudha would be narrating a script to me, I thought it would be a film on relationships because usually women give you this kind of scripts – relationship-based film or about women’s lib (liberation),” he said at a media interaction for the film.
“So when she said boxing, I felt strange and thought so you will make a film on boxing?” he added.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
But Madhavan said he was impressed with her effort.
“The kind of research that she had done – she had interviewed boxers from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and presented to me all the information about why people take up boxing, what type of parents want to send their girls for boxing and why.
“And considering all these facts, when I heard the story, I felt I couldn’t do a script more brilliant than this. So I just took this script from her and bought it,” he added.
Prasad, who has directed two films – “Andhra Andagadu” (Telugu) and “Drohi” (Tamil) – had started out assisting veteran director Mani Ratnam in numerous films such as “Guru” where Madhavan had also played an important role.
The film is drawing comparisons to “Mary Kom” but Madhavan said there were differences.
“Boxing is a background to the film. It is about boxing but it is also about the relationship between two individuals. It’s a feel good film.. perhaps I haven’t done a film more commercial than this.”
“Saala Khadoos” will be releasing as “Irudhi Suttru” in Tamil.