Onir’s new Hindi film Shab will introduce Bangla superstar Prosenjit’s wife Arpita Pal as the female lead. The film will not only transform Arpita’s traditional Bengali beauty’s image into a hip South Delhi socialite, it will also cast her as a woman in love with a younger one.
Apparently Prosenjit was scandalized when he heard the role offered to his wife by Onir.
Arpita who is considered one of the finest contemporary actresses in Bengal voluntarily gave up her career to be Mrs. Prosenjit and to look after their daughter, emerging from her self-imposed exile to do the occasional film, like the late Rituparno Ghosh’s last released film Satyawanshi.
Onir says it took all his persuasive powers to get her on board for this project. “I had actually gone to meet Prosenjit. He had expressed a keenness to work with me. When I went to meet him Prosenjit’s wife walked in.”
It was camera-love at first sight for Onir.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sighs the director, “I’m surprised she hasn’t been cast in any Hindi film so far. She is absolutely stunning, so stylish and elegant. Arpita has the potential to be the next best thing in Bollywood from Bengal after Sharmila Tagore, Jaya Bhaduri and Bipasha Basu.”
After convincing Prosenjit to let his wife work in Bollywood, Onir has now taken on the task of transforming Arpita’s image.
“I am giving her a very elitist South Delhi look. I am cutting Arpita’s long hair to achic stylish shorter crop, changing her wardrobe, body language, the works,” reveals Onir.
Arpita plays a woman in love with ayounger man.
Says Onir, “I am moving to Delhi for the next six months to explore the milieu and get familiar with it. The Old Delhi, Chandni Chowk, Pahadganj area has been done by Dibakar Bannerjee, Sudhir Mishra and Ajay Bahl. I’d like to explore the other more up market Delhi, South Delhi, in Shab.”
Onir has also convinced Sangeeta Bijlani to emerge from her retirement and play a prominent role in the director’s next film Shab.
Unlike Onir’s other films My Brother Nikhil, Bas Ek Pal and I Am, Shab won’t deal with alternate sexuality.
Says Onir, “As a filmmaker I don’t want to limit myself to one specific thought or genre. It is true that my earlier films did deal with alternate sexuality. But there are so many other themes that I wish to explore.”
Shab is the first script that Onir wrote. “I am finally making it now. It is set in South Delhiand deals with complex relationships.”
While the rest of the cast is yet to be finalized Onir has finalized SangeetaBijalani for one of the main roles.
Says Onir, “Sangeeta plays a fashion diva who heads a beauty pageant. I saw her at a fashion showand loved the way she carries herself.I asked a common friend Anita Dongre to introduce us. Sangeeta is just the face and personality I want for the role. I’m sure she’ll do a terrific job with the role.”