Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra’s upcoming film Mary Kom’s release has been postponed to buy time to give the film the global appeal of Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.
‘Mary Kom’ is now being revamped into a much larger sports bio-pic than before.
A source close to the project said, “The producers Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Viacom 18 took a joint decision last month to postpone the release date so that Mary Kom could be further developed into another ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’. Viacom had unexpectedly massive global success with Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. They are now looking Mary Kom as the female counterpart of Milka Singh’s bio-pic. The global appeal of Mary Kom is much more contemporary than Milkha. While Milkha Singh’s bio-pic was retrospective in structure, Mary Kom is being made even as the real-life Mary Kom prepares for the next Olympics.”
According to a source close to the production team, the project is now being formatted into two different versions, one for the Indian and the other for the international market with the Indian version being longer.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The source also said, “The version for the Indian market would have songs and more scenes showing Mary Kom’s home life. These up-gradations in the original design of Mary Kom would take time. We’re in no hurry to complete the film anymore.”
Apparently, the decision to pull out of the October 2 slot was taken after seeing rushes of the film.
The source added, “There is a lot more being added to the film now. Director Omang Kumar has asked Priyanka to spend a lot more time with the real Mary Kom. The second-half of the film is being made much more dramatic and powerful. And the fights in the ring would be to die for.”