Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra’s upcoming film Mary Kom’s release has been postponed to buy time to give the film the global appeal of Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.
‘Mary Kom’ is now being revamped into a much larger sports bio-pic than before.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
A source close to the project said, “The producers Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Viacom 18 took a joint decision last month to postpone the release date so that Mary Kom could be further developed into another ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’. Viacom had unexpectedly massive global success with Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. They are now looking Mary Kom as the female counterpart of Milka Singh’s bio-pic. The global appeal of Mary Kom is much more contemporary than Milkha. While Milkha Singh’s bio-pic was retrospective in structure, Mary Kom is being made even as the real-life Mary Kom prepares for the next Olympics.”
According to a source close to the production team, the project is now being formatted into two different versions, one for the Indian and the other for the international market with the Indian version being longer.
The source also said, “The version for the Indian market would have songs and more scenes showing Mary Kom’s home life. These up-gradations in the original design of Mary Kom would take time. We’re in no hurry to complete the film anymore.”
Apparently, the decision to pull out of the October 2 slot was taken after seeing rushes of the film.
The source added, “There is a lot more being added to the film now. Director Omang Kumar has asked Priyanka to spend a lot more time with the real Mary Kom. The second-half of the film is being made much more dramatic and powerful. And the fights in the ring would be to die for.”