“It is wonderful news. We have a compelling story to tell of a strong, determined woman who has done the nation proud. It is our tribute to all the unsung sports people who give so much to see the Indian flag flying high. If this can act as a catalyst of hope for them, then its something we can all be proud of,” Priyanka, who is playing the five-time world champion in ‘Mary Kom’ said in a statement here.
“We are grateful to Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat and government of Maharashtra for lending their support to the film. This exemption right from release day will allow large segments of society to experience the spirit of magnificent Mary,” Ajit Andhare, COO, Viacom18 Motion Pictures (producer) said. (Must read: From Manipur, stories of the women actors who didn’t get to play Mary Kom)
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
While Bhansali’s spokesperson said the tax free status will encourage audience to recognise and support the spirit of the film.
Based on the true story of Mary Kom, the biopic chronicles the journey of a woman boxer who gave up her sporting career when it was at its peak to embrace the joy of motherhood. After giving birth to two beautiful children, she made her comeback in the ring and went on to become both a stronger woman and a stronger boxer.
The film directed by Omung Kumar is set to release on September 5.
Earlier, various state governments including Maharashtra, Bihar, UP and others had granted tax exemption to Farhan Akhtar starrer ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’, a biopic on legendary athlete Milkha Singh.