Mumbai Police officers who are probing the complaint filed by actor Preity Zinta against businessman Ness Wadia said Sunday that while the actor had returned to the city from the US, her supplementary statement would only be recorded in the next couple of days.
Zinta returned to the city from the US on Sunday afternoon and immediately left the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport for her residence in Khar.
Later, she issued a statement saying, “Exhausted but happy to finally be back home in Mumbai. I’d like to apologize to the media but it will not be possible for me to make any comments or statements as this investigation is still on. Please co-operate & please don’t call my staff or friends non-stop as they have requested me to make this appeal to you all on their behalf.”
The police require a detailed statement from Zinta as Closed Circuit Television Camera (CCTV) footage from Wankhede stadium, obtained from the BCCI, does not show the alleged spat between the two co-owners of the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Kings XI Punjab.
Additional Commissioner of Police (South Region) Krishna Prakash said the police would probe the case on the basis of the statement Zinta would give them.
The Mumbai Police had contacted the actor through her lawyer last week. Soon after registering an FIR with the Marine Drive police station, the 39-year-old actor had flown to the US, reportedly to meet a relative.
“Preity Zinta’s statement was not recorded today. There is a possibility of recording her statement either on Monday or Tuesday,” said Krishna Prakash.
The police sources claimed that they had communicated with Zinta’s lawyer seeking the statement from her on return to the city, and were now awaiting a response from either Zinta or her lawyer.