Marriage does not mean end of career for an actress in Bollywood. And that has been the case for the longest time, says actress Kajol, who feels the hype around it is due to extra attention paid to the marital status of women.
“Married actresses have been working in films for a very long time. It’s just that they never came into focus and people never pointed them out and said, ‘Hey, you’re married and you’re working’,” Kajol told IANS in an interview from Mumbai.
The mother of two added: “You had a Sharmila Tagore, you had my mother (Tanuja), you had Saira Banu, you had so many actresses, who worked after they got married, in fact more after they got married than before they got married. Dimple Kapadia for that matter.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“So yes, there are actresses who have been working pre- and post-marriage and nothing changed in their entire imagery. There were a lot of actresses who did not work at all once they got married. And that is a possible choice, I believe.
“And, of course, there were some who just didn’t make it and chose to use marriage as an excuse. So, I don’t think I’m a path-breaker in that sense. Maybe because the spotlight is on me right now. But I didn’t do it first. I just followed in some very illustrious footsteps.”
Kajol decided to get married to actor Ajay Devgn at the peak of her career. Their wedding took place in 1999, and they have a 13-year-old daughter named Nysa and son Yug, six.
After the birth of her daughter in 2003, Kajol did a few films such as “Fanaa”, “U Me Aur Hum”, “My Name Is Khan”, “We Are Family” and “Toonpur Ka Superrhero”.
The actress, who has made her comeback as the face of Olay Total Effects, was last seen on the big screen in “Dilwale”.