Neerja starring Sonam Kapoor continues its victory march and has crossed the Rs. 50 crore mark in just ten days of its release. The film is dominating the box office despite new film releases and has collected Rs 50.12 cr. at the box office. The film opened to great reviews from critics and fans alike.
On day 1, Neerja earned a mere Rs 4.70 crore but it saw a jump on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it collected Rs 7.60 cr while Sunday’s numbers were the highest of the weekend. The film even cleared the crucial ‘Monday test’ and collected Rs 3.70 cr. On Tuesday also, the film’s business remained strong. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday business of the film was Rs. 3.14 cr, Rs. 3.06 cr, Rs. 3.15 cr. respectively. The film was massive jump on Saturday and Sunday (February 27) raking Rs. 5 cr. and Rs. 6.65 cr. at the box office making the total collection of the film Rs. 50.12 cr.
Neerja, which released over 671 screens in India, has shown good occupancy in theatres across the country backed up by strong content and good word of mouth.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh took to Twitter to share the numbers.
#Neerja Fri 4.70 cr, Sat 7.60 cr, Sun 9.71 cr, Mon 3.70 cr, Tue 3.41 cr, Wed 3.14 cr, Thu 3.06 cr. Total: ₹ 35.32 cr. India biz. REMARKABLE!
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) February 26, 2016
#Neerja continues its EXTRAORDINARY march. Is UNSTOPPABLE. [Week 2] Fri 3.15 cr, Sat 5 cr, Sun 6.65 cr. Total: ₹ 50.12 cr. India biz.
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) February 29, 2016
The film’s business witnessed growth towards evening/night shows and the numbers multiplied rapidly especially at the metros.
Neerja also delivered a fantastic opening weekend of $ 1.56 million in the international markets (Rs 10.7 cr.)
Neerja marks to be the highest opening weekend for a female centric – 15 rated film in the international markets. (The censor rating of 15 restricts the family audiences in North America, UK, Middle East and Australia)
The box office numbers from key markets are given below.
The collections of the film in USA is $ 635, 202, in Middle East $ 575, 406, in UK $ 153,386, in Australia $ 84,299 and in the rest of the world it is $ 113, 394.
In USA and Middel East the film is the highest opening weekend of a female centric – 15 rated film, while in UK it is the second highest opening weekend of 2016.
Vijay Singh, CEO, Fox Star Studios said, “We are humbled with the audience response to Neerja ! Viewers across the country have connected to this emotional and heart-touching story of a 23 year old girl who did something extraordinary. The film is resonating across demographics in India as also with Indians across the world.”
Indian Express film critic, Shubhra Gupta wrote: The question was always going to be, can Kapoor, who has always played itty-bitty ditsy roles before (with patchy results in a string of others), carry off that demanding role? Short answer : yes.
Also read: Neerja: The sky was her limit
Sonam Kapoor fumbles in a couple of initial phases, where we find a blankness rather than terror on her face. But those are only momentary. Then she locks onto the correct tone, and we get the whole complement of feelings flit across her face – from shaking with fear to finding a place of strength. Kapoor makes us believe she is, was, Neerja. (In pics: Neerja, Ghayal Once Again, Sanam Re, Airlift: Releases Of 2016 Till Now, Who Won The Box Office race