With his latest controversial outing “Udta Punjab” getting rave reviews, actor Shahid Kapoor has wished for more power to such films.
The drug-themed movie, released on June 17, had courted controversy after Central Board of Film Certification asked for multiple cuts.
However, the film was passed by the Bombay High Court with just a revised disclaimer and omission of one scene.
- Shahid Kapoor gives the first shot for Batti Gul Meter Chalu. See photos
- Shahid Kapoor: There are very few films, written today, which are worthy of two big actors
- Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor overwhelmed with Padmaavat’s release
- Padmaavat movie review and reactions: Day 1 Highlights
- Before Padmaavat, here’s looking at the box office performance of Shahid Kapoor’s last five films
- Udta Punjab leaked: Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Karan Johar decry piracy
“Humbled and thankful. Your love has been overwhelming. More power to honest fearless cinema. Thank you all,” Shahid wrote.
The Abhishek Chaubey-directed Punjab-set crime drama also earned Rs 10.05 crore on its opening day.
“Udta Punjab” talks about the issue of substance abuse in the state of Punjab through the stories of a high-on-drugs rockstar (Kapoor), a migrant (Alia Bhatt), a doctor (Kareena Kapoor Khan) and a policeman (Diljit Dosanjh).