Director Omung Kumar, who is looking forward to the release of ‘Mary Kom‘, says he has tried to keep the story real despite taking creative liberty to depict the boxing champion’s life story on celluloid.
“It wasn’t so difficult to replicate Mary because she is an open book… we followed her and replicated her life exactly as she has said. She has seen the film. I think creative liberty is not a bad thing… it is about how we take the scene ahead. She (Mary) has seen it and loved it,” Omung told reporters here last night at the music launch of the film.
Priyanka who essays the role of Mary in the film said the Manipur boxer fancied a song and dance in the movie.
“We have dramatized the romance and singing and she (Mary) enjoys it. She asked me if I am dancing in the film and I said people will kill me if I dance. She said she is a good dancer. So can you imagine Mary Kom doing ‘Desi Girl’ (popular track from ‘Dostana’).. that is what she wanted me to do in the film,” Priyanka said.
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
The makers have portrayed several incidents that happened to Mary exactly the way she narrated them to the writers.
“We have tried to bring 10-12 years of her (Mary) life on screen within two hours and within that we have taken few liberties. But otherwise the film is a close depiction of her life,” Priyanka said.
Directed by Omung Kumar and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the biopic also stars Danny Denzongpa, newcomer Darshan Kumar among others. The film is scheduled for release on September 5.