Director Omung Kumar, who is looking forward to the release of ‘Mary Kom‘, says he has tried to keep the story real despite taking creative liberty to depict the boxing champion’s life story on celluloid.
Priyanka Chopra plays the role of the Olympic boxer M C Mary Kom.
“It wasn’t so difficult to replicate Mary because she is an open book… we followed her and replicated her life exactly as she has said. She has seen the film. I think creative liberty is not a bad thing… it is about how we take the scene ahead. She (Mary) has seen it and loved it,” Omung told reporters here last night at the music launch of the film.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Priyanka who essays the role of Mary in the film said the Manipur boxer fancied a song and dance in the movie.
“We have dramatized the romance and singing and she (Mary) enjoys it. She asked me if I am dancing in the film and I said people will kill me if I dance. She said she is a good dancer. So can you imagine Mary Kom doing ‘Desi Girl’ (popular track from ‘Dostana’).. that is what she wanted me to do in the film,” Priyanka said.
The makers have portrayed several incidents that happened to Mary exactly the way she narrated them to the writers.
“We have tried to bring 10-12 years of her (Mary) life on screen within two hours and within that we have taken few liberties. But otherwise the film is a close depiction of her life,” Priyanka said.
Directed by Omung Kumar and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the biopic also stars Danny Denzongpa, newcomer Darshan Kumar among others. The film is scheduled for release on September 5.