Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit-Nene and husband Shriram Nene have sent a letter to Kolhapur MLA Vinay Kore requesting him to ensure relocation of elephant Sunder to a sanctuary.
The letter was sent by the Nene couple to Kore on behalf of People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), an organisation that looks after the well being of animals.
Kore, in 2007, had donated the elephant to the Jyotiba temple in Kolhapur.
The letter comes in advance of the next High Court hearing, scheduled for January 21, for a case in which PETA is seeking Sunder’s release from temple where the elephant has been kept chained and inside dark sheds for most of the time.
“(Sunder) has scars on his legs and cowers in fear and pain because he is being beaten by his mahout,” write Dixit-Nene and her husband. “He should live free from suffering, in the company of other elephants, and have the opportunity to roam vast distances,” they wrote.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016