The nation marked the 87th birthday of Lata Mangeshkar recently. And while nobody will disagree that the legendary singer deserved every possible award and laurel in this world, the plans to confer ‘Bangabibhushan’ on the ‘Nightingale of India’ on October 20 has been postponed as Lata Mangeshkar is unwell, Saregama India chairman Sanjiv Goenka said here on Monday.
“Lata Mangeshkar is indisposed. As a result, the forthcoming conferment of Banga Bibhushan to her at her residence in Mumbai on 20th October has been deferred, “Goenka said in a statement.
Set up in 2011, the award’s earlier recipients include danseuse Amala Shankar, sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan, renowned singer Manna Dey, author Mahasweta Devi, footballer Sailen Manna, hockey Olympian Leslie Claudius, painter Jogen Chowdhury, writer Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, filmmaker Goutam Ghosh, Hindustani classical music exponent Ajoy Chakraborty and former Indian cricket captain Sourav Ganguly.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Goenka said the presentation is now expected to be held in Mumbai sometime in November.
“We all are very sorry to hear about the melody queen’s indisposition and we will be eagerly looking forward to her quick recovery ” said Goenka.
The West Bengal government has decided to confer the ‘Bangabibhushan’ award by on Mangeshkar in recognition of her contribution to Bengali songs. Lata Mangeshkar has recorded songs for over a thousand Hindi films and nearly 40 regional Indian and foreign languages. Though Mangeshkar has stopped singing for some years now, her melodious voice still finds a place in everyone’s playlists through her iconic songs. We wish her a speedy recovery.
(With inputs from IANS)