Bollywood actor Kunal Kapoor has supported a crowd-funding portal Ketto and helped them to raise more than Rs 45 lakh in the last one year.
The portal fights for causes like rehabilitating a sex-worker’s daughter and sponsoring a poor athlete for the Winter Olympics.
“A lot of people want to give back to society these days and the one of best ways to do it is through technology,” Kapoor, 36, told reporters here.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Crowd sourcing is the practice of obtaining funds through contributions from a large group of people and especially from online communities.
Through the crowd-funding platform, the actor said, he was proud to have recently raised Rs 10 lakh to sponsor equipment for athlete Shiva Keshavan so that he could participate in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia this month.
The portal crowd-financed the US trip of a sex-worker’s daughter so she could get a scholarship for higher education.
Varun Sheth, his partner in Ketto told PTI that in the last one year of operations over Rs 45 lakh for 18 social causes related to education, children and women’s empowerment were raised.
“Kunal uses his public image as an actor to attract funds. He looks after the marketing aspect and gets corporate support for us. He is also like a brand ambassador,” Seth said. Together, their goal was to create an online community of donors and get the youth actively involved in supporting social causes.
Ketto provided a platform to NGOs looking for funds to support charitable projects.
They were in Kolkata recently to raise funds for underprivileged children over a charity dinner week.