Ae Dil Hai Mushkil director Karan Johar has insulted my father Mohammed Rafi, says Shahid Rafi

A dialogue from Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil between Anushka Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor has not gone down well with Mohammad Rafi's family.

Written by Sonup Sahadevan | Mumbai | Updated: November 1, 2016 10:24 am
ae dil hai mushkil, ae dil hai mushkil controversy, ae dil hai mushkil mohammad rafi, ae dil hai mushkil md rafi, adhm md rafi, ae dil hai mushkil dialogue, rafi son shahid, mod rafi family, ae dil hai mushkil censor board, ae dil hai mushkil pahalaj nihalani, ae dil hai mushkil complaint, adhm rafi anger, ae dil hai mushkil md rafi dialogue, ae dil hai mushkil news, ae dil hai mushkil karan johar, kara johar rafi, kjo rafi, adhm news, ae dil hai mushkil ranbir, ae dil hai mushkil anushka sharma, ae dil hai mushkil aishwarya, ae dil hai mushkil issue, bollywood news, entertainment updates, indian express, indian express news In a dialogue from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Anushka Sharma tells Ranbir Kapoor, “Mohd. Rafi gaate nahi rote the.”

The peace-loving Rafi family is seething with anger. Reason being a dialogue from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil that apparently ridicules Rafi. The dialogue has Anushka Sharma telling Ranbir Kapoor, “Mohd. Rafi gaate nahi rote the.” The same has incensed the legendary singer’s family a great deal.

Speaking to indianexpress.com, Rafi’s son, Shahid said, “This dialogue doesn’t take the movie forward or backwards and if that is the case, what was the need to include this dialogue? And while writing this dialogue, didn’t they realise who they were talking about? Mohammed Rafi is a versatile legendary singer and I am not saying this just because he is my father. Even after 36 years of his passing away, my father’s fan following is far more than many other singers of our industry. My father was an institution. He was a very down-to-earth person. He was like a saint. People still worship him. Nobody in the industry says anything bad about my father. This dialogue is an insult. It is stupid. The man who wrote this dialogue is stupid. My father sang for Shammi Kapoor, Rajendra Kumar, Joy Mukherjee, Biswajeet Singh. From love songs to qawwali, he has sung it all. It is ridiculous to say whatever has been said in the film.”

Shahid is also aghast that a filmmaker like Karan Johar allowed the dialogue to be used in the film.

“After watching this, I doubt if he (Karan) has got any sense about what he is doing. It’s an insult to my father. I am ashamed and didn’t expect this from Karan Johar. When his father Yash Joharji made Dostana in 1980, my father sang songs in his film. The song ‘Mere dost kissa yeh kya ho gaya, Suna hain ke too bewafa ho gaya’ are apt as of today for Karan. I don’t know why he included the line in the film. Shayad shahurat sar zyada chad gaya hai. Jab shahurat zyada chadh jaata hai, log mooh pe tareef karte hai aur peeth peeche thooh thooh karte hai.”

Also read | Ranbir Kapoor is here to stay: Anushka Sharma

Shahid now plans to consult CBFC chief Pankaj Nihalani. “I have received so many messages from fans asking me to take action. I will talk to Pahlajji. I know him very well. I will see what he suggests and accordingly take an action. This line could have been censored,” averred Shahid.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App

mir javid
    Feb 1, 2017 at 3:30 am
    the voice of rafi sahib is angelic voice..rafi is legendary singer.. those who try. to spite sky get back on their face..as sun is ultimate source of light rafi is source of melodies.... i love u rafi...i always remain busy to find rere songs of rafi on youtube because every song of rafi is a gift of God..09797179116
    1. V
      vr
      Dec 4, 2016 at 1:29 pm
      Rafi Sb "rafi the great" the .ye chul chal director unke pair ke dhul bhi nahin hai Jise film banana nahin pata oh rafi Sb ke sangeet ki gahrai ko kahan janch payenge .wo nachaniya, sirf nachaniya logo ka hi judge kar pata hai
        abhishek anand
        Nov 1, 2016 at 5:56 pm
        This is really shamefull being a good director and including such types of dialogues which doesn't have a 1% weightage..Please remove those stuffs...Everyone knows incredible Rafi shahab and his voice...nobody can even touch his level...Salute to Rafi Sir 😊
        1. F
          Fatima
          Oct 31, 2016 at 8:54 pm
          Old is gold sach hai Aaj Kal ke filmein siwai agi aur nange Pan k ilawa kuch nahi hai aur geet hote the US waqt jab Rafi sahab ki Aawaaz sun kar sukoon milta tha Aaj unka mazaak bana rahe hai Sharan nahi Aati
          1. H
            Harvinder
            Nov 2, 2016 at 1:59 pm
            It is a stupid remark about a legend. This needs to be corrected ASAP
              Dr Pardeep
              Nov 1, 2016 at 6:23 am
              I do not know what current generation of film directors like Karan Johar think of themselves it is indeed very shameful on his part to write about Rafi Sahab in that manner what a cheap way to get publicity .Rafi Sahab was is and will be priceless gem in music world
                A v
                Nov 1, 2016 at 4:16 am
                Shame shame Karan Johar for allowing such insulting dialogue to be said about one of the greatest artist of all times India has ever had.at least the actors should have been sensible enough to have reminded the director about the absurdity of that stupid line.what about the censor board.how such a meaningless dialogue was over looked.
                1. V
                  Vineet
                  Nov 1, 2016 at 2:43 am
                  Ab dialogues logo ki insult karne ko likhe jate hai.Rafi sahab jaise artist ke bare me ye likhna nhi sahi hai vo is country ke music ke soul the, hai ur vo rahenge