Karan Johar on sexual orientation: I am very proud of who I am

Karan Johar got candid about his sexuality saying that he was never ashamed of it and he is very proud of himself. Talking about his of choice of making elite films, Karan said that he makes what comes to his mind and never tries to pretend to make something different.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Updated: November 13, 2017 6:57 am
karan johar, karan johar pics, karan johar images, karan johar photos, karan johar pictures  “Whatever I am, I’m proud of myself”, says Karan Johar

Karan Johar on Saturday said that he was not “embarrassed” but “proud” of his sexuality, asserting that it’s his orientation which defines him. The filmmaker, who for the first time addressed the curiosity around his sexuality in his biography An Unsuitable Boy, said the book was his final answer to the world and he will not get into any further details.

“I have never expressed my sexual orientation in those many words. I have insinuated a lot and have said what I wanted to say in my book. I will never say that I am embarrassed or ashamed to say it. I am very proud of who I am and who I will always be. Whatever I have written in the book is the truth and I stand by every word of it,” Karan said at Sahitya Aaj Tak.

The filmmaker said people criticised him for not being direct about his orientation in the book and he still gets trolled on social media for it. “There were two kinds of criticism. First, I was asked why I didn’t make it clear what I wanted to say. And my reply to that is, ‘it’s my right’. Another criticism I faced was that people asked me why I am like this. There are so many people out there who don’t understand the concept of personal orientation.

“Every morning I get up, I face a lot of trolling on Twitter, Instagram and on other platforms. If I post a picture with a pout then people make filthy comments,” he said. Karan added that the comments used to make him angry initially but now he feels “amused and just smile when people make such comments”.

“Whatever I am, I’m proud of myself… The orientation I have, is who I am,” he said.

Talking about his films, the director said he only creates the kind of cinema he understands well. “The magic of big screen is different. People have often said that I don’t make real films. I say to them that I don’t know how to make real films. I know how to sell big dreams of big screen. That’s what I know and understand,” he said.

The 45-year-old director defended himself for making films about elites, saying, “Don’t the rich have problems in life? I make what comes to my mind. I never try to pretend to make something different.”

Karan said whenever he has tried anything different – be it My Name is Khan or a short film for Bombay Talkies, which addressed homosexuality – he has never got credit for it. “Unfortunately, if my name had been Karan Kashyap, then I would have got a lot more credit,” he quipped.

“Now I have accepted this that I will never get credit, so I just do what I want to do,” he said.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App

1. raman goyal
    Nov 13, 2017 at 12:40 pm
    Everyone has a fundamental right of expressing who he is under article 19 of the Indian cons ution. The fact that he’s abused, made fun of , every moment on social media for being who he is makes him publically assert his orientation. Being a public figure and one of the most successful people of this country, he’s morally right in asserting it publically. The fact that homosexuals are denigrated, looked down upon ,no matter how successful they are, no matter if they’re as good a citizen as others, no matter they love their families , friends like others.People are not even aware of what sexual orientation is , they just think of it as a choice , as a way of satisfying lust, they think of it as a choice as easy as choosing shahi paneer or matar paneer. I see the comment section full of hate comments made by supposedly educated people of this country. Even if they don’t understand the concept of orientation ,do they not have the brains to uphold the right to ones own body?
    (6)(0)
      Ssss
      Nov 13, 2017 at 9:03 am
      We should treat LGBTQ folks with compassion. Here is the scientific reason for their orientation: s: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1887219/
      (3)(1)
      1. L
        leon
        Nov 13, 2017 at 10:33 am
        And you think science is always right..!! dude grow up
        (1)(3)
        Pravin
        Nov 13, 2017 at 8:43 am
        Just don't preach around. Keep it to yourself.
        (6)(6)
        1. O
          Once AAP follower
          Nov 13, 2017 at 2:34 am
          If you were really proud then you don't need to publicize it. The fact is you feel so low in life that can't be happy without reading seeing yourself in news. The only thing you wanted to be is famous and the entire exercise of films, TV show or anchoring are only a way to get fame. You are like a rich man who hire people only to get self praise.
          (6)(6)
          1. Shubha Dubey
            Nov 12, 2017 at 7:34 pm
            Please give correct credits ..it is a PTI story... Credit to.ians.
            (1)(0)