Karan Johar on Ae Dil Hai Mushkil controversy: I will not work with Pakistani talent in future, watch video

Karan Johar has finally broken his silence on the controversy over his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil after MNS called for a ban on the film owing to the presence of Pakistani actor Fawad Khan in it. The filmmaker said nothing but India matters for him.

Written by Sonup Sahadevan | Mumbai | Updated: October 19, 2016 9:10 am
Karan Johar has finally broken his silence in his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil that has been the subject of intense political debate after MNS called for a ban on the film. Karan Johar has finally broken his silence in his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil that has been the subject of intense political debate after MNS called for a ban on the film.

Karan Johar has finally broken his silence over the controversy of his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil that has been the subject of intense political debate after MNS called for a ban on the film owing to the presence of Pakistani actor Fawad Khan in it. Speaking out for the first time, Karan Johar through a video message put his country before self and saluted the Indian army for their valour. The director condemned terrorism and also declared that going forward he wouldn’t work with Pakistani talents given the current circumstances prevailing in India. Interestingly, Karan referred to Pakistan only as neighbouring country in the message.

Watch | Karan Johar: Hurt That People Will Believe I am Anti- National

Karan also implored fellow Indians to not undermine the work of scores of other Indians who toiled hard to help complete the film.

Also read | MNS after Karan Johar’s statement: We will not allow Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s release

Karan expressed fervent hope that they will not have to face any sort of turbulence and reiterated his patriotism for the country by saying he loves India above everything else.

Also read | Mukesh Bhatt on Ae Dil Hai Mushkil ban: I appeal to my brothers in MNS to not spoil Diwali for Indians

Below is Karan Johar’s statement:

There is been some talk about why I have remained silent for the past two weeks. Today I will clarify that the reason why I have remained silent is because of they deep sense of hurt and a deep sense of pain I felt that a few people would actually believe that I am anti- national and I need to say this and I say it with strength. For me my country comes first and nothing else matters to me but my country. I have always felt that the best way to express your patriotism is by spreading love and that is all I have ever tried to do through my work and through my cinema. When I shot my film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in September to December last year the climate was completely different. The circumstances were completely different. There were efforts made by our government for peaceful relationship with our neighbouring country and I respected those endeavours and efforts then and I respect the sentiments today. I understand the sentiment because I feel the same. Going forward I would like to say that of course I will not engage with talent from the neighbouring country given the circumstance. But with that same energy I beseech you to know one thing. That over 300 Indian people in my crew have put their blood, sweat and tears into my film ADHM and I don’t think it is fair to them to face any kind of turbulence out of other fellow Indians. I respect the Indian army and salute our army for everything they do to protect us and our environment. I respect them with all my heart and I say any form of terrorism any form specially the terrorism that would affect my people, my country and me. I just hope all of you understand the circumstance and situation we are in and respect the fact that we love and respect our country over and above anything else.”

Also read | Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: MNS threatens to vandalise multiplexes if they screen film

The single-screen theatre operators have announced that they would not screen Johar’s upcoming film. MNS activists had later threatened to vandalise multiplexes if Ae Dil Hai Mushkil was screened. MNS leader Amey Khopkar said, “We will oppose the screening of the movie everywhere in the state. If any multiplex operator dares to screen the film, they (operators) should remember that multiplexes are decorated with expensive glass sheets.”

Author Chetan Bhagat, meanwhile, slammed the protests against Ae Dil Hai Mushkil saying preventing release of film made in compliance with Indian laws is neither fair nor just. He said it’s for the audience to decide whether they want to watch the film or not.

The film is slated to to release on October 28.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App now

Dobby M
    Jan 13, 2017 at 12:23 pm
    yes...Karan Johar is not a patriot. Period!...look at most of his films, they are all shot everywhere but India. He is far far away from the reality of what India today is. Why doesn't he make a film on the Indian army or the good work the samaritans are doing WITHIN india?
    1. I
      Ikok
      Oct 18, 2016 at 5:46 pm
      India changing colours from secular to radical and becoming a racists country with le of Rapeistan and Racistan.. Do what the extemist hindues say
        Ajay
        Oct 18, 2016 at 6:06 pm
        Speaking with plastic emotions!lt;br/gt;Very similar to Kejriwal style of showing perception of convenience!!lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Sorry Karan I am not impressed.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Reshoot with Indian face!! Only option and then show to this country who has given you so much that you live your words!!
        1. C
          Chand
          Oct 19, 2016 at 12:01 am
          There is always a risk in every business venture. He took a risk and he can win or loose. When he is about to loose money he has found his tongue. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Ban his film - Ban actors. Ban commentators on TV. Its about time.
            deshbhakt
            Oct 18, 2016 at 2:46 pm
            Obviously Anuraag would favour the desh drohi after all they are "special friends". Not a word from Karan's other bed partner SRK
            1. I
              Imaginath
              Oct 18, 2016 at 1:07 pm
              Nobody bothers!
              1. I
                IML sood
                Oct 18, 2016 at 2:19 pm
                This Karan or Bhatt they are just playing the game,when money matters come before them.It is only the money from their films that they and other such actors artists are known in India. But big Q is whether they are true Indian and they love their country, why this moron Karan when realisingthat he will get a big hit,tries to show his loyality to the country.So far as Bhatt is concerned is a hard core suppoters changing colour by the time that suits him.Such actors were and are anti national whose Baap is only money not the country.
                1. J
                  Jim
                  Oct 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm
                  why cant he smartly use this to his advantage and make some good come out of this.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;He can set up a charity with part of the movie proceeds where the family of martyrs are taken care of. And before the start of the movie they condemn stani terror in clear and unequivocal terms.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Pak artists are welcome to India if they are part of this condemnation
                    Srividya Jayaraman
                    Oct 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm
                    May be you like stani talent then you better move to stan. Let sensible Indians condemn this movie.
                    1. O
                      Outraged Indian
                      Oct 18, 2016 at 3:21 pm
                      These guys are full of gas...can do anything for money...they can as well practice the world's oldest profession!!
                        Samanya Admi
                        Oct 18, 2016 at 1:08 pm
                        This falls short of expected behaviour if Bolywood. Is there a dirty of talent in over billion people of India? Do you preserve India's civilization and culture through movies or work for the foreign interest? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;The operation clean up of so called Bollywood, not Indian or Hindi cinema, is must. The film industry of "slum dog" kind needs to be eradicated completely for Indian cinema to thrive and do good for the nation.
                          Madhu
                          Oct 18, 2016 at 7:59 pm
                          Sumit in which way fawad or ali were handsome? And about talent Indian actors way better than stani
                            M
                            Oct 18, 2016 at 11:24 pm
                            It's about time this people r taught a lesson. All they care about is filling there own pockets. They don't care how this arm r protecting us. So u cud have peaceful life. People shud realize we have billion people in India. U don't have to go cross to look for talent. But u want people say WOW. But I'm proud of MNS. For standing up.
                              MyTake
                              Oct 18, 2016 at 11:20 pm
                              Nothing wrong working with artists from anywhere provided artists as part of humanity make their stand clear on issues related to humanity. If they can't make their stand clear they are fake artist and not real one and should be avoided! One does not have to bend backward to make room for the fake ones!
                                Pat
                                Oct 18, 2016 at 10:08 pm
                                Teach mukesh mahesh butts and his children a lesson. Why nothing wasdone by ats when they were scouting around with s. Also karan srk amur,salman along with bhatts are working with underworld. Why would he launch alia b? The bhatts were street urchins and ever since they joined d company, they have been a mouth piece for that company.
                                  Rajat
                                  Oct 18, 2016 at 3:06 pm
                                  Ha ha :D lt;br/gt;I don't believe in the sincerity of apology. It only goes on to show how much he values money. Scared that he'll make losses. There should be a public boycott of these fellas. lt;br/gt;Look at Mahesh Bhatt, now ready to make 'Rowdy' MNS workers his brothers. Pretty much evident that money is supreme for these fellas.
                                    Rajat
                                    Oct 18, 2016 at 3:06 pm
                                    Ha ha, their as-s-es on fire :D lt;br/gt;I don't believe in the sincerity of apology. It only goes on to show how much he values money. Scared to he-ll that he'll make losses. There should be a public boycott of these fellas. lt;br/gt;Look at Mahesh Bhatt, now ready to make 'Rowdy' MNS workers his brothers. Pretty much evident that money is supreme for these fellas.
                                    1. T
                                      Tarakkad
                                      Oct 18, 2016 at 6:24 pm
                                      If Karan is really a patriot as he trumpets,let him reshoot his film by inducting an Indian actor instead of Fawad Khan.After all the Porki has only a guest appearance spanning for for a short time.
                                      1. F
                                        fuckislam
                                        Oct 19, 2016 at 5:59 am
                                        He is a stani artist working for his father nawaz
                                        1. F
                                          fuckislam
                                          Oct 19, 2016 at 5:55 am
                                          He is characterless
                                          1. F
                                            fuckislam
                                            Oct 19, 2016 at 6:00 am
                                            His mother was a s*x worker of hafeez