Alia Bhatt, Sidharth Malhotra and Fawad Khan starrer Kapoor & Sons is having a super run at the box office and has earned Rs. 46.93 cr. in just seven days. The film’s second week collections continues to be great as it has earned Rs. 65.07 cr. The film which started on a good note, minted Rs. 26.35 cr in mere three days of its release.
Directed by Shakun Batra, Kapoor & Sons earned Rs. 6.85 cr on the first day (Friday), Sat 7.75 cr on the second day (Saturday) and the third day proved to be lucky as many headed to watch the film in theatres. The film earned a whopping Rs. 11.75 cr on third day (Sunday). On weekdays also, the movie had a strong hold which minted Rs. 5.08 cr on Monday, Rs. 4.50 cr. on Tuesday, Rs. 4.35 cr. on Wednesday, Rs. 6.65 cr. on Thursday, taking the total to Rs. 46.93 cr. (Read: Kapoor and Sons movie review: Sidharth brings an attractive vulnerability, Fawad doesn’t lift off the screen)
The Karan Johar production brought together real life couple Alia and Sidharth for the second time after they first romance in his directorial Student of the year, meanwhile Fawad Khan has been showered with accolades for his second Bollywood film.
Trade Analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted the week two collections of the film:
#KapoorAndSons [Week 2] Fri 4.21 cr, Sat 4.24 cr, Sun 3.64 cr, Mon 1.80 cr, Tue 1.70 cr, Wed 1.35 cr, Thu 1.20 cr. Total: ₹ 65.07 cr. SUPER!
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) April 1, 2016
Kapoor & Sons also dominated the international market and has become one of the highest first week grosser of 2016 overseas. It collected $ 4.2 mn (Rs. 28.07 cr.) overtaking Akshay Kumar’s Airlift which collected $ 3.9 mn in its first week.
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) March 25, 2016
This week, Kapoor & Sons will be competing with John Abraham’s action thriller Rocky Handome, which released on March 25 and it remains to be seen how Karan Johar’s family drama will perform in the coming days at the box office.
Indian Express’ critic Shubra Gupta in her review wrote, “‘Kapoor & Sons’ seems to have taken to heart that famous Tolstoy line: “all happy families are alike, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”, in the way it chooses a specific kind of unhappiness for each member of the Kapoor family.”
The film also stars Rishi Kapoor, Rajat Kapoor and Ratna Pathak Shah in pivotal roles.