Debut director Sai Kabir feels that Kangana Ranaut is the best choice for playing the female lead in the upcoming black comedy ‘Revolver Rani’.
The 27-year-old ‘Queen’ star will be seen playing a politician with a quirky dressing sense.
“Kangana has proved out to be the best choice for the film. I don’t think any other actress in the industry would have done this role because it’s a non-glamorous and ugly looking character. But Kangana has taken up the project. With her films like ‘Tanu weds Manu’ and ‘Queen’, Kangana has carved a niche in the male-dominated industry,” Kabir told PTI.
The Gwalior-born director said he took up this female-oriented subject as his debut film because he wanted to revive the times of Guru Dutt and Bimal Roy.
“There was a time when Guru Dutt and Bimal Roy used to take risk and took up subjects like these but after few years these subjects lost its sheen amidst male-oriented scripts. But, the new generation filmmakers have revived the trend and are giving importance to the female characters,” Kabir said.
Produced by Tigmanshu Dhulia, ‘Revolver Rani’ is all set to hit theatres on April 25. Although set in the backdrop of the notorious Chambal area, the director said that his film is not rural and rustic.
“If somebody is calling my film rural then I don’t mind because I am not the kind of filmmaker who draws his inspiration from the humdrum of a city life. I feel modern India is still rural from inside.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“I am not interested to bring the character of those people on big screen who spend their maximum time on google but they still don’t know who is the President of India,” he said.
Kabir started his career in films as an assistant director to Kundan Shah and Aziz Mirza. He worked with them for eight years and even wrote the screenplay of many films.
“My parents are doctors. I did my schooling from Airforce school and joined theatres without completing my Engineering degree. After leaving theatre, I joined Kundan Shah, Saeed Mirza and Aziz Mirza at the age of 21,” he said.
Kabir said he will again team up with Tigmanshu for his next film ‘Divine Lovers’, which is a love story.