Noted actor-director Kamala Haasan and classical singer Begum Parveen Sultana have been selected for the prestigious Padma Bhushan award this year, while Bollywood actors Vidya Balan and Paresh Rawal will receive Padma Shri.
Kamal Haasan in a career spanning more than five decades, has over 190 films to his credit, across genres and languages like Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam.
His most famous work is in Tamil cinema in films like ‘Moondram Pirai’ and ‘Nayagan’. Haasan, 59, has also given memorable hits in Bollywood like ‘Hey Ram’, ‘Sadma’, ‘Chachi 420’ and ‘Ek Duje Ke Liye’.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Sultana, 63, a classical singer of the Patiala Gharana, and well-known Tamil lyricist-writer Vairamuthu have also been chosen for Padma Bhushan, which is India’s third highest civilian award.
National award-winning actress Vidya Balan, 36, has been selected for Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award. She is known for portraying strong female protagonists in films like ‘Paa’, ‘Ishqiya’, ‘No One Killed Jessica’, ‘The Dirty Picture’ and ‘Kahaani’.
Veteran Bollywood actor Paresh Rawal, also a Padma Shri winner, has starred in films like ‘Road to Sangam’, ‘Oh My God’, ‘Hera Pheri’, ‘Sir’ and ‘Sardar’.
The list also includes Goa-based designer Wendell Rodricks, veteran Bengali actresses Sabitri Chatterjee, Supriya Devi and writer-director Sooni Taraporvala.
Taraporvala, a longtime collaborator of Mira Nair, haswritten the script of Oscar-nominated ‘Salaam Bombay’, ‘The Namesake’ and ‘Mississippi Masala’.
Also receiving the Padma Shri are eminent tabla player Vijay Ghate, theatre personality Bansi Kaul, filmmaker and cinematographer Santosh Sivan, theatre personality Mohammad Ali Baig, TV actress Nayana Apte Joshi, musician Musafir Ram Bhardwaj, Manipuri dancer Elam Endira Devi, Kathak dancer from Bengal Rani Karnaa, film animator Ram Mohan and dancer Kalamandalam Sathyabhama.