Noted actor-director Kamala Haasan and classical singer Begum Parveen Sultana have been selected for the prestigious Padma Bhushan award this year, while Bollywood actors Vidya Balan and Paresh Rawal will receive Padma Shri.
Kamal Haasan in a career spanning more than five decades, has over 190 films to his credit, across genres and languages like Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam.
His most famous work is in Tamil cinema in films like ‘Moondram Pirai’ and ‘Nayagan’. Haasan, 59, has also given memorable hits in Bollywood like ‘Hey Ram’, ‘Sadma’, ‘Chachi 420’ and ‘Ek Duje Ke Liye’.
Sultana, 63, a classical singer of the Patiala Gharana, and well-known Tamil lyricist-writer Vairamuthu have also been chosen for Padma Bhushan, which is India’s third highest civilian award.
National award-winning actress Vidya Balan, 36, has been selected for Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award. She is known for portraying strong female protagonists in films like ‘Paa’, ‘Ishqiya’, ‘No One Killed Jessica’, ‘The Dirty Picture’ and ‘Kahaani’.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Veteran Bollywood actor Paresh Rawal, also a Padma Shri winner, has starred in films like ‘Road to Sangam’, ‘Oh My God’, ‘Hera Pheri’, ‘Sir’ and ‘Sardar’.
The list also includes Goa-based designer Wendell Rodricks, veteran Bengali actresses Sabitri Chatterjee, Supriya Devi and writer-director Sooni Taraporvala.
Taraporvala, a longtime collaborator of Mira Nair, haswritten the script of Oscar-nominated ‘Salaam Bombay’, ‘The Namesake’ and ‘Mississippi Masala’.
Also receiving the Padma Shri are eminent tabla player Vijay Ghate, theatre personality Bansi Kaul, filmmaker and cinematographer Santosh Sivan, theatre personality Mohammad Ali Baig, TV actress Nayana Apte Joshi, musician Musafir Ram Bhardwaj, Manipuri dancer Elam Endira Devi, Kathak dancer from Bengal Rani Karnaa, film animator Ram Mohan and dancer Kalamandalam Sathyabhama.