After shelving his project on Rituparno Ghosh due to his demise, director Shoojit Sircar is now focusing on the life of Sibdas Bhaduri, who successfully led bare-footed Indians against British footballers in 1911.
The ‘Madras Cafe’ maker has cast John Abraham in the lead role of the period piece ‘1911’ that focuses on Bhaduri, the then captain of Mohun Bagan that won the IFA Shield as the first Indian team in that year.
A sports fanatic, John had earlier played a footballer in 2007 film ‘Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal’.
The pre-production of ‘1911’ has started, but Shoojit is sad that the Rituparno project will never happen.
“‘Red Carpet’ won’t happen without Ritu-da. The film was based on him and only he could have enacted the role,” Shoojit told PTI, remembering the ace director who died an untimely death on May 30 last year.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Now that he is no more, there is none who can match his persona and screen presence. I have shelved the project,” he said.
Returning to ‘1911’, he says, John will essay Bhaduri’s character in the film which will be entirely shot on Kolkata maidan area.
“John is working on the character by reading details on the pre-Independence era football legend,” Shoojit said. Bhaduri and his dhoti-clad team had defeated the East
Yorkshire Regiment in the IFA Shield final in 1911.
It will be a sports film with patriotic fervor like the 2007 hit ‘Chak De India’, the director said.
“I will do everything to retain authenticity of the period,” said Shoojit, who has encouraged John to buy I-league team Lajong FC, besides the Guwahati franchise of ISL.