A month after Mumbai police filed a chargesheet against him for abetting the suicide of Bollywood actress Jiah Khan, Sooraj Pancholi appeared before the trial court.
“Suraj, son of actor couple Aditya Pancholi and Zarina Wahab, appeared before the court today and the court adjourned the case till next month,” said advocate Dinesh Tiwari who is appearing in the case on behalf of Jiah’s mother Rabiya.
The pre-trial formalities in the case are yet to be over. Suburban Juhu police had on January 16 filed a 447-page charge sheet in metropolitan magistrate’s court in suburban Andheri, following which the magistrate transferred the case to the sessions court for trial.
Jiah, an American citizen, was found dead at her Juhu home on June 3 last year. The police arrested Sooraj on June 10 on the basis of a six-page letter which was found in the house, purportedly written by Jiah.
Police booked him on the charge of abetement of suicide. According to the police, Jiah was in a relationship with Pancholi.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Sooraj was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on July 1, 2013. In his bail plea, he said they were in a consensual relationship and the letter was being misused by Jiah’s mother Rabiya.
Rabiya moved the Bombay High Court in October 2013 alleging her daughter had been murdered and sought a CBI probe. Following this, the court asked the police to record her statement, collect material given by her, and probe the murder angle.
Last month, Rabiya had met the officials in the Consulate of United States of America in Mumbai where she was assured that they (consulate) had written to Indian authorities offering help in probing Jiah’s death.