A restaurant run by Bollywood actor Arjun Rampal in a starred hotel here faces closure as he has defaulted on payment of rent and owes dues to the tune of about Rs 2 crore.
Indian Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC), which runs Hotel Samrat in posh Chanakyapuri area, has served an eviction notice to Rampal.
The actor has been running ‘LAP’ restaurant, with 150 seating capacity, since 2009.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
According to ITDC, Rampal has to pay Rs 25 lakh as rent per month besides the charges for power, water and cooking gas under an agreement.
“He had stopped payments since October 2012,” an ITDC official said. The total dues have accumulated to Rs 4.5 crore, but out of this, he recently paid Rs 2.5 crore, the official said.
The lease of the restaurant expired in October, 2013 and Rampal has applied for renewal. The restaurant owner has moved court seeking redressal for not being able to pay the rent.
“Since the matter is sub-judice now, he will be allowed to run the restaurant till the matter is settled,” he said. ITDC, meanwhile, is regularly sending him the bill. “In December, a bill of Rs 25.77 lakh was sent and bill of Rs 33.61 lakh in January has also been despatched to him.”
Besides Samrat, ITDC, a subsidiary of Tourism Ministry, has two more hotels in the capital including the flagship ‘Ashok’ and ‘Janpath Hotel’.
When contacted, Rampal did not comment directly on the matter. “I seem to be hearing about my businesses from the press,” he said in response to PTI’s query.
Meanwhile, he tweeted, “So I am Bankrupt now!!! According to media reports. So everyone cash out ur checks now…#ridiculous.”
According to media reports, Rampal has sought financial relief from the court. The LAP lounge bar and restaurant was opened with much fanfare in August 2009 with reports suggesting involvement of Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan’s wife Gauri in designing the premises along with Rampal’s wife Mehr.