Actor Irrfan Khan has shot down rumours of playing the titular role in director Omung Kumar’s upcoming film “Sarabjit”, a biopic on the slain Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh.
The “Piku” star, who is in Budapest shooting for his next Hollywood project “Inferno” alongside Tom Hanks, said he has not been approached for the film.
“I haven’t been approached to play Sarabjit at all. This news is definitely not true,” Irrfan Khan, 48, said in a statement.
Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has been roped in to play Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur, who fought for her brother’s release from the Lahore jail.
- Happy birthday Irrfan: The actor whose skills escape definition
- How Rajkummar Rao and Irrfan Khan proved that 2017 was about actors and not superstars
- Irrfan Khan-Deepika Padukone's next to be directed by Vishal Bhardwaj
- Exclusive: Deepika Padukone-Irrfan Khan thriller to go on floors in January 2018
- Aishwarya Rai in Punjab for 'Sarbjit' shooting
- Confirmed! Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to play Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur in biopic
Sarabjit, 49, was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Pakistan’s Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990 and spent about 22 years in prisons.
A court sentenced him to death. Sarabjit sustained severe injuries when six prisoners attacked him in a Pakistani jail in 2013. He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.
Dalbir fought for her brother’s release from the Lahore jail but her quest ended tragically when he died in 2013 following a brutal attack by fellow prisoners.
The film will begin shooting in Punjab this October and is expected to hit theatres in May 2016.