With his candid confessions on how he was “effeminate as a child” and how he used to have “sleepless nights” over the issue, Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar stole the show on the first day of the Jaipur Literature Festival which began in Jaipur, on Thursday (January 21).
Talking about his book “An unsuitable Boy” at a session with Shobhaa De and his biographer Poonam Saxena at the front lawns at Diggi Palace, where the festival is being held, Karan Johar said: “I hated the word ‘Pansy’ and I was called that as a child. I was effeminate as a child and I used to have sleepless nights over the fact that I am different from other children.”
He said his parents were a big support system.
“Even when I weighed 150 kg, my mother said I was the best looking child in the world and my father told me that once I lost a little puppy fat, I can be a hero in Hindi films,” said Karan Johar.
Asked about the negative portrayal of homosexuals in his movies, Johar said he was the first Bollywood director who discussed the issue in films.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Whether its ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ or ‘Dostana’, I discussed the issue in the mainstream. I received so many letters from youngsters saying that my movies helped their parents identify their sexuality.
“Now there are so many films on LGBT and I am proud that I started it,” he said.
Johar also spoke about the hard times his family faced.
“When my father had a few flop movies, we had to sell our jewellery and house. He was not invited for launch parties and it was terrible times,” he said.
The director also spoke on rumours of a rough patch in his friendship with actor Shah Rukh Khan.
“Like every relationship, there have been ups and downs. However, Shah Rukh’s family is part of my family.”
According to the director, his best film was “Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna”, and the least favourite was “Student Of The Year”.
“However, it gave three good actors for Bollywood,” he said.