The 77-year-old veteran actor has been awarded with the prestigious honour this year and in the short documentary his grand-nephew narrated Shashi’s journey in the film industry.
The actor, who could not travel to Delhi to receive his trophy, was given the award by the Information and Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley at a function in Prithvi theatre.
- Shashi Kapoor funeral: As it happened
- Shashi Kapoor passes away; condolences pour in on Twitter
- Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor dies at 79
- Shashi Kapoor gets DadaSaheb Phalke award, an actor par excellence, his works best: Arun Jaitley
- Family, friends happy for Shashi Kapoor’s Phalke honour
- Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor to receive Dadasaheb Phalke award on May 9
“We are extremely proud that now we have three Phalke winners in our family — Prithviraj Kapoor, my grandfather Raj Kapoor and now Shashi Kapoor. With Shashi dadaji getting it a couple of days back at the Prithvi theatre, we had a lovely gathering where all his actresses and friends came to celebrate him and it was lovely to see the audio-visual of the work that he had done,” Ranbir told reporters here.
“We often forget what the yesteryear actors and filmmakers have done and it just warms my heart to see his contribution… When I was giving the voiceover and watching the video, I realised the value of Shashi. He did commercial films, independent films and international films. He encouraged the theatre culture in India,” Ranbir said.