Actor-director Rajat Kapoor says he will never rope in Bollywood A-listers in his films at the cost of the script.
Rajat, 53, who is behind critically acclaimed films ‘Raghu Romeo’, ‘Mixed Doubles’, ‘Mithya’ among others, said his script is always the star of his film. “I am not a regular filmmaker. I take a lot of time to write a particular script. I make films on issues which we face everyday but tend to ignore it. My films are for common man and any actor can serve the lead. I will never compromise my film in order to take Bollywood stars. I am really not interested,” Rajat told PTI in an interview.
The versatile actor is again donning the director’s hat with Delhi based drama ‘Aankhon Dekhi’. The quirky film revolves around the character of Raje Bauji (played by Sanjay Mishra} and the day-to-day experiences he shares with his extended family.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
“I have been writing this script for past eight years. The idea of the film is very simple. We know many things in life but we tend to believe those which we have either experienced or seen. I think this idea has crossed many of our minds. It is a funny, philosophical and family film,” he said.
Rajat also revealed that he wrote the script keeping Sanjay in mind, whom he met on the sets of 2010 satire film ‘Phas Gaye Re Obama’.
“When I did ‘Phas Gaye Re Obama’, I was writing the script of ‘Aankhon Dekhi’. I and Sanjay shared screen space together in it. He is such a brilliant and effortless actor and I was really moved to see his performance. I decided that time only that Sanjay is my Bauji in the film,” he added.
‘Aankhon Dekhi’ is set to hit theatres on March 21 and has been shot entirely in Delhi, where Rajat had spent his childhood.
“This is the first time I have shot my film in Delhi. I captured basically the Old Delhi side because I am well acquainted with the place. Shooting in those areas were like revisiting my childhood days.
“Even my ancestral family used to be like Bauji’s family. We managed to find a house, where we shot the film, near to my ancestral house in Daryaganj,” the Mumbai based filmmaker said.
Rajat is best known for his role in mainstream films like ‘Dil Chahta Hai’, ‘Corporate’, ‘Monsoon Wedding’, ‘Bheja Fry’ and ‘Dasvidaniya’.
Rajat has been in the industry for a long time but the writer-director-actor says not much has changed in Hindi cinema.
“Our cinema is the same old thing. Nothing has changed if we talk about the content. It has become technically better but the storylines are similar. I must say that there are few independent filmmakers who are really doing good job. But others are not pushing themselves,” Rajat said.
Rajat’s next as a director would be a gangster film.