The brouhaha around the most talked about celebrity controversy of the recent past scaled new heights last night after Hrithik Roshan gave a rather explosive interview to Arnab Goswami on Republic. The interview, that lasted for almost two hours, had a visibly uncomfortable but fully prepared Hrithik answering some of the most burning questions that the nation has had about his alleged affair with actress Kangana Ranaut.
In the interview, Hrithik tried to explain his working relationship with her and was not hesitant in stating that he actually respected her work ethic. The two have worked together on two occasions, Kites (2010) and Krrish 3 (2013). The 40-year-old actor said that he does not want to get caught up in a ‘He said-She said’ debate and believed that the evidence should do all the talking. Throughout the interview, Hrithik did not utter Kangana’s name even once. He referred to her as ‘the lady’, ‘the girl’, ‘the person’ or ‘Rangoli’s sister’. This was the first time Hrithik Roshan came forth for a television interview since the time this controversy started. Kangana, in the past few weeks, has given multiple interviews stating her side of the story.
Here are 18 statements Hrithik Roshan made during this interview:
1. “I don’t consider myself the victim in this case. Nothing in my life will ever make me think that way about myself.”
2. “I am very very uncomfortable talking about this controversy right now. Whatever I say can and will be used against me for who I am. I’m afraid that my words might get construed.”
3. “I’m afraid that my words would be misconstrued. If I come across as strong, they might term me as aggressive. If I show emotion they might term me as weak. If I show that I am vulnerable, they say ‘he’s looking for sympathy’.”
4. “I need to say what I want to say, but I have to keep live up to this star thing of mine. I have to be cool and not give any attention to something that is not important, but after a while I realised I was pretending. It was affecting me. It was affecting my community. It was affecting my sense of well being. That’s not being a hero, that’s being fake.”
5. “I was afraid, and now I am not going to be afraid. I am going to allow my mind and my heart to say what it wants to say. If I hurt somebody’s sentiments, I’d like to apologise right now.”
6. “I first met Kangana in 2009 when I was shooting for Kites.”
7. “We were in a party in Jordan. After the party, she asked me for some advice about her life choices. After I went back to my hotel. Someone was knocking loudly and I looked through the peephole and saw it was Kangana. She was not in a condition to talk so I called my assistant who got Rangoli to come down and take Kangana to her room. Rangoli apologised for Kangana’s behaviour. All of this was in October 2012.”
8. “(During Kites) We didn’t become good friends. Through Krissh 3 as well, I found her (Kangana) extremely professional and well-prepared.”
9. “I was proud of Kangana at one point.”
10. “In Kangana’s mail about the promotions for Krissh 3, she says that she was too shy to talk to me. She is never able to tell me things that she wanted to tell me. But she’ll now tell me all those things in the mail. She wrote this in a mail in 2014.”
11. “I have never met Kangana in my entire life, one on one. Last met her for promotions for Krissh 3.”
12. “There is no grace in sitting here and testifying about my character or proving myself right by proving someone else wrong.”
13. “I am not a confrontational person. I have never had a fight in my life – neither with a man nor a girl. Even in my divorce, it was very peaceful.”
14. “I wasn’t having a direct conversation with Kangana about the imposter. It was all through Rangoli (Kangana’s sister).”
15. “I didn’t reply to any email and didn’t want to be a part of this. After 5 days, I forgot about it. My team was on alert to see whether my account was hacked. I am simply narrating what happened to me. I am not giving any opinion.”
16. “I didn’t want to associate with her. I had no interest in this. All of the emails went into my spam. I never read them.”
17. “If you have a MacBook Pro, there is no option to block people. Believe me, I hunted for this blocking option. You can only spam it or junk it, and I did that immediately. I must have read 40-50 of them. There were about 3000-4000.”
18. “My higher understanding of life has taught me that ignorance is the best way forward. This is not the first time, I’ve been sent mails of this nature. I’ve learnt in the past that my ignorance discouraged it, and that is what I thought would happen now.”
Kangana Ranaut has not made a statement on this until now.