We had conducted a poll for our online voters of Indian Express to decide the top 10 comedy films in Bollywood from over the years. Our list had fifteen choices and the votes are finally in.
At the time of writing this copy, topping the poll with about 684 votes is Priyadarshan’s ‘Hera Pheri’ which had the deadly combo of Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal in the lead. During its release in the country, the film grossed at a whopping Rs. 17,25,00,000.
Coming in close second is the cult classic Salman and Aamir Khan’s ‘Andaz Apna Apna’. The film received 669 votes and talks of a sequel are always doing the rounds. During its release in 1994, the film didn’t fare well at the box office. But over the years its funny one-liners, entertaining drama and melodious songs have turned it into an all-time favourite comedy.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
View Poll Results here:
Shah Rukh Khan – Deepika Padukone’s ‘Chennai Express’ came third with 242 votes. The Rohit Shetty flick broke several records in India and abroad on its release and became the fastest film to collected Rs 100 crore at the box office.
Kundan Shah’s multi-starrer ‘Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro’ with Nasseruddin Shah, Ravi Baswani, Om Puri, Pankaj Kapur, Satish Shah Bhakti Barve and Satish Kaushik came in fourth with 144 votes. Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, a black comedy, is also remembered for its famous Mahabharata scene.
Considered to be one of the finest comedy films of all times ‘Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s ‘Gol Maal’ is fifth with 132 votes. The movie had some of the finest performances by Utpal Dutt and Amol Palekar.
In sixth place with 123 votes, is ‘Padosan’ which was the hilarious love story between two neighbours, played by Sunil Dutt and Saira Banu. Legendary singer Kishore Kumar as Sunil Dutt’s singing teacher and friend was the icing on the cake.
Rajkumar Hirani’s coming-of-age-comedy-drama, ‘3 Idiots’ starring Aamir Khan, Sharman Joshi and R Madhavan managed to make it to No 7 with mere 117 votes. The film that told the tale of three engineering students broke all opening box office records in India and was the highest-grossing film in its opening weekend.
In eighth place is Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s ‘Chupke Chupke’ starring Dharmendra, Sharmila Tagore, Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan and Om Prakash with 86 votes.
Anees Bazmee’s ‘Welcome’ starring Akshay Kumar, Nata Patekar, Anil Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Mallika Sherawat and Paresh Rawal is one of the most loved comedy films and came in 9th with 61 votes.
And finally at No 10 with 57 votes is ‘Angoor’ which revolved around the hilarious tale of two pairs of identical twins played by Sanjeev Kumar, who are separated at birth and reunited later in life.