I haven’t bagged ‘Zid’ for being Priyanka Chopra’s cousin: Mannara

Mannara says she bagged the opportunity to star in upcoming film 'Zid' because of her own talent and not for her superstar cousin Priyanka.

By: Press Trust of India | Mumbai | Updated: November 12, 2014 10:09 am
Mannara is not wary of the comparisons she will have to face with her actress cousins. Mannara is not wary of the comparisons she will have to face with her actress cousins.

Bollywood’s new Chopra sister Mannara says she bagged the opportunity to star in upcoming film ‘Zid’ because of her own talent and not for her superstar cousin Priyanka.

Mannara, who was earlier known as Barbie Handa, said she did discuss about the project with Priyanka Chopra before taking the final call.

“I don’t think anyone will give me a film just because I am Priyanka’s sister. Till the time one goes for an audition, you cannot say anything. Last year I completed my Telegu film and during that time my mama (Priyanka’s dad) was not well. I was auditioning for Hindi films.

During that point of time while going to her house one day I told her about ‘Zid’ and mentioned that I am in the third stage of auditioning. She (Priyanka) asked me to go ahead,” Mannara told reporters here.

‘Zid’ is an upcoming erotic thriller film directed by ‘Hate Story’ helmer Vivek Agnihotri and produced by Anubhav Sinha. The film stars newbie actor Karanvir Sharma opposite Mannara.

“I was adamant to do a Hindi film and thus went on giving auditions. Finally, through a casting director Nalini Ratnam, I got the film ‘Zid’. After that I met the director Vivek Agnihotri who gave me few tips about preparing for the role. To get this role I had to wait long,” she said.

The actress said she is also close to her another actress cousin Parineeti.

“During vacations when we used to visit my nani’s house In Ambala and I used to meet Parineeti there. It was a typical Punjabi family bonding. It was like a movie scene. A house inside the farm where we used to have so much fun. All of us used to sing together. We are 14 cousins and very closely knitted,” she said.

Mannara, however, is not wary of the comparisons she will have to face with her actress cousins.

“There is so much competition in the industry, why should one take it inside the family. I am tense for my film’s fate but not for the comparison with my sisters. I always have my own zone. Right now I am only worried about ‘Zid’. The trailer has got a good feedback. It has crossed 2 million viewership,” she said.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: November 11, 2014 3:06 pm
    sarfraj
    Sep 6, 2015 at 6:48 am
    hye mannara i am big fan u r u r so nice u r smile so nice is verry god actors my conteck no plz coll me 08273278668
      sarfraj
      Sep 6, 2015 at 6:49 am
      sarfraj write a comment...hye
        Sriya A
        Jun 14, 2015 at 11:33 am
        "Mannara was not even approached in the first place. It was after the rumours circulated that her manager contacted the makers of the film to find out if she has any role," Chopra_not_approached_for_Brahmotsavam_164465.aspx?NEWS
          mani
          Dec 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm
          nice:sportslivetv
          1. B
            babuji
            Nov 14, 2014 at 9:52 am
            These girls are insane. Can do anything for money..
            1. J
              Jeremy
              Nov 13, 2014 at 2:53 am
              Every hero/heroine in Indian cinema, esp in this generation, "bags" a main role in a movie because they are someone's son/daughter/cousin/nephew/.. the business. True talent is not discovered anymore...its forced instead, into the privileged few.
                Anonymous_1
                Nov 13, 2014 at 8:59 am
                I agree with you completely. That's why they insist on inflicting the painfully talentless Kareena Kapoor Khan and the highly overrated Ranbir Kapoor/Alia Bhat on us. The requirements for getting a movie in Bollywood are as follows: 1. Are you a Kapoor? 2. Are you Khan?If yes to either of these questions then you've got a job.