Veteran film lyricist and director Gulzar has been chosen for Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2013, the highest official recognition for film personalities in India.
A seven member jury consisting of eminent artists, after due deliberations, unanimously recommended Gulzar for the prestigious award, a statement released by the I&B ministry said.
Gulzar’s daughter and filmmaker Meghna also tweeted the news, “Dadasaheb Phalke award for my father. So proud! #Gulzar.”
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Gulzar started his career as a lyricist with the hit song ‘Mera Gora Ang Lai Le’ in Bandini and went on to write many chartbusters like Tujhse naraaz nahin zindagi, Aanewala pal jaane wala hai, Tere bina zindagi se, Mera kuchh saamaan as well as the famous dance numbers like Kajra Re and Beedi Jalaile.
Gulzar has been very closely associated with music directors RD Burman, A. R. Rahman and Vishal Bhardwaj. He has also worked with the new age Bollywood music director Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy.
The 79-year-old, who has also made films like Parichay, Koshish, and Kinara. will be the 45th recipient of the award.
Gulzar directed National Award winning films Mausam and Maachis.
Gulzar was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2004 for his contribution to the arts and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2002. He has won a number of National Film Awards and 20 Filmfare Awards. At the 81st Academy Awards, he won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for “Jai Ho” (shared with A.R.Rahman), for the film Slumdog Millionaire.