Veteran film lyricist and director Gulzar has been chosen for Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2013, the highest official recognition for film personalities in India.
A seven member jury consisting of eminent artists, after due deliberations, unanimously recommended Gulzar for the prestigious award, a statement released by the I&B ministry said.
Gulzar’s daughter and filmmaker Meghna also tweeted the news, “Dadasaheb Phalke award for my father. So proud! #Gulzar.”
Gulzar started his career as a lyricist with the hit song ‘Mera Gora Ang Lai Le’ in Bandini and went on to write many chartbusters like Tujhse naraaz nahin zindagi, Aanewala pal jaane wala hai, Tere bina zindagi se, Mera kuchh saamaan as well as the famous dance numbers like Kajra Re and Beedi Jalaile.
Gulzar has been very closely associated with music directors RD Burman, A. R. Rahman and Vishal Bhardwaj. He has also worked with the new age Bollywood music director Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
The 79-year-old, who has also made films like Parichay, Koshish, and Kinara. will be the 45th recipient of the award.
Gulzar directed National Award winning films Mausam and Maachis.
Gulzar was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2004 for his contribution to the arts and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2002. He has won a number of National Film Awards and 20 Filmfare Awards. At the 81st Academy Awards, he won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for “Jai Ho” (shared with A.R.Rahman), for the film Slumdog Millionaire.