Bollywood personalities Gulzar, Javed Akhtar, Mahesh Bhatt, Shabana Azmi, Imtiaz Ali, Tigmanshu Dhulia, Huma Qureshi and Nandita Das are set to bring alive Urdu’s timeless splendour and rich heritage at the upcoming 2nd Jashn-e-Rekhta festival.
Distinguished names from across the border like noted director Sarmad Sultan Khoosat, popular TV host Anwar Maqsood, Ustad Rafaqat Ali Khan, Iftikhar Arif, Zehra Nigah and Imran Abbas will also make their presence felt at the three-day event, which will be inaugurated by Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung here tomorrow.
Intizar Hussain and Nida Fazli, who passed away recently, were also supposed to be part of the festival.
Akhtar along with Azmi will perform the much acclaimed “Kaifi Aur Main”- the magnificent love story of Kaifi and his wife Shaukat and also share their insights during a discussion on “Filmon mein Urdu – Kal aur Aaj”.
The festival will showcase Urdu and its richness through various forms like mushaira, qawwali, dastangoi, ghazals, film screening, dance and plays.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
It will feature a ‘Baitbazi’ section, which is a verbal game and a genre of Urdu poetry played by saying verses of Urdu poems.
A special highlight of the festival will be the birth centenary celebration of legendary Urdu writers Ismat Chugtai and Rajinder Singh Bedi, known as the pillars of Urdu fiction.
The birth centenary of Akhtar ul Iman, one of the pillars of modern Urdu Nazms and dialogue writer will also be celebrated.
As a special focus, there will also be a children’s corner which will have storytelling, audio installations and drawing aimed at reviving Urdu literature among children.
Another attraction at the festival will be Urdu bazaar, which is a special area dedicated to brass artefacts, a variety of ittars (fragrances) and film posters.
Jashn-e-Rekhta will see a treasure trove for the taste buds — a food festival with Awadhi, Kashmiri, Deccani, Sindhi, Banjaara, Punjabi, Mughlai delicacies including a spread of choicest street foods of Dilli. People will also get to savour Pakistani delicacies.
Also, more than 20 varieties of tea will be served at the food court.