Many Bollywood stars have successfully transitioned to the role of director. Farhan Akhtar’s is a journey in the opposite direction. The man who debuted as a director and producer with the pathbreaking Dil Chahta Hai in 2001 chose, seven years and two more directorial projects later, to face the camera.
The success of Rock On!! made Farhan, now 40, a star overnight.
The story of this journey — which the actor-director-producer compared with that of salmon swimming upstream — constituted a major portion ‘Salmon’ Farhan swims upstream, rocking the audience on of Farhan’s intelligent and entertaining conversation with a select audience in Mumbai on Monday evening. The Express Adda — now in its third year and a popular fixture in the social calendar of Delhi and Mumbai — was moderated by The Indian Express Editor-in-Chief Shekhar Gupta and Screen Editor Priyanka Sinha Jha.
“I knew I wanted to be part of the film industry but I felt my strength lay in writing,” said Farhan, son of illustrious Bollywood parents Javed Akhtar and Honey Irani. “I wanted to be honest to myself; working on a film isn’t a job done in isolation, so I couldn’t have gone on a whim. When I started out, I didn’t feel I was ready to be an actor. It’s my stint as a director, watching actors at work, that helped me understand the craft.”
Coping with the highs and lows of Bollywood was a lesson he learnt early with Lakshya (2004), Farhan said. “We had all worked so hard on the film that we had expected it to do well. Although it got good reviews, the film didn’t perform as expected. It taught me that one cannot gauge the audience response before the release; they are going to like it for what it is, not for the effort you’ve put in.”
Since then, however, his career, both as actor and director, has mostly been on the upswing. His most recent acting role, the powerful portrayal of Milkha Singh in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, won him the Best Actor award at the 20th Life OK Screen Awards. As the evening drew to a close, the multi-faceted Farhan enthralled guests with a show of another of his talents — by crooning a medley from Rock On!!
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016