Filmmaker Onir to leave India, post Supreme Court verdict on Article 377?

Published:February 3, 2014 12:23 pm
Onir Onir says he would leave India if the law declaring gay sex as criminal is not changed.

With the Supreme Court’s verdict against the decriminalisation of gay sex, filmmaker Onir who has been fighting a long and arduous battle against the criminalisation of gay sex, is seriously considering leaving the country for good.

The ‘I am’ director said, “Honestly I am not surprised by the verdict. But I am still deeply disheartened. To accept the Supreme Court’s verdict is to accept oneself as a criminal. My life cannot be put on hold forever because of an archaic law. I cannot and will not accept this law. I wonder how many more years before I am not considered a criminal in my own country. Voluntary exile seems to be the answer.”

“And the law is applicable not only to same-gender sex. IPC 377 prohibits non-procreational consensual sex between any two adults. That means you can have sex in this country only to have a baby,” observes Onir.

But exiled Indian artistes have never been happy. M F Hussain died a very unhappy man.

“But I am not happy now over here in India either. This is not looking good. Our honourable Supreme Court wants to teach me to lie. And if I don’t lie I’ll be held for contempt of court. I can’t live a lie.”

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App now

1. G
    guest
    Feb 7, 2014 at 10:49 am
    good decision by indian government in decalring as an act not for pleasure but for procreation.
    1. G
      guest
      Feb 7, 2014 at 10:49 am
        Sanjay Kumar
        Feb 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm
        Good news for all those movie goers who lost their ticket value and who had to suffer his movies
          Prof. Makkhan
          Feb 3, 2014 at 7:39 am
          I would like to send a farewell banquet to the man. When is he leaving the country?
            Prof. Makkhan
            Feb 3, 2014 at 7:39 am
              Krishna
              Feb 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm
              Please leave!
                Krishna
                Feb 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm
                Please leave!
                1. U
                  Usha
                  Feb 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm
                  Good riddance to bad movies.:)