The 35-year-old US national who on Friday filed a rape case against filmmaker Mahmood Farooqui has said in her statement that she got to know the director after he assured her that he would fix her an appointment with MP Yogi Adityanath from Gorakhpur for her research work.
The victim’s statement under Section 164 of the CrPC recorded by a magistrate reveals she met Farooqui with the help of a friend last year.
“Farooqui told her that he knew a lot of people in Delhi University who could help her gather information regarding her research assignment in India. He also claimed that he knew Adityanath and another ‘saint’ of from Gorakhpur,” she said.
- Mahmood Farooqui convicted for rape: Timeline of case events
- Farooqui defence:Her version shows ‘impossibility of sexual assault’
- Farooqui rape trial: Feared Dec 16 repeat, so didn’t resist rape, woman tells court
- Mahmood Farooqui denies charges, says he was falsely implicated in rape case
- Court starts trial in rape case against Mahmood Farooqui
- Mahmood Farooqui, husband of 'Peepli Live' director, held for rape charges
The victim said her acquaintance with Farooqui grew over the months and she also met his wife, filmmaker Anusha Rizvi, at their residence in Jamia Nagar.
Police, meanwhile, said they have started preparing a chargesheet against Farooqui and have asked several sources to provide details regarding her.
“We have asked the immigration department for details on her travel as investigators want to see evidence of her presence in India at the time of incident ,” a police source said. The police have also asked for phone call details of the victim.
The victim is pursuing a PhD from a leading American university. She approached the Delhi Police along with a senior official of the US Embassy on Friday to file an FIR against the co-directorof the film Peepli Live.
Farooqui was called in for questioning on Saturday and was subsequently arrested and produced in court. He is now in judicial custody for 14 days.