The country’s coveted cinema award – Filmfare – is all set to make its debut to honour films in eastern India.
Termed as ‘Vivel Filmfare Awards East’, cinemas in Bengali, Oriya and Assamese will now vie for the coveted trophy, which was earlier confined to Bollywood.
“We from the Tollygunje film industry will dazzle the eyes of the audience on the award ceremony evening here, which will be no less than the razzmatazz of the Filmfare functions in Mumbai,” Prosenjit Chatterjee, Bengali film industry icon, said.
“We are making over 100 films in Tollygunje a year. We are happy that the resurgence of Bengali film industry in the past few years and the recognition it has earned here and abroad has now reached another benchmark,” the ‘Dosar’ actor added.
Tarun Rai of Worldwide Media said, “To cite the buoyancy factor of Mumbai film industry we refer to the fact of over 100 films being made there. Now after getting to know that an equal number of films are being made here, we can say the two Filmfare awards can be equals in terms of excellence.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“May be we should have stepped into the Eastern turf earlier,” he added. There will be 21 categories of awards for Bengali films, and four each for Assamese and Oriya.
“Bengali, Oriya and Assamese films have contributed to the resurgence of Indian film industry in past decade. We wish to recognise it as part of the premier Filmfare award initiative,” Sandeep Kaul, Chief Executive Officer, Vivel Personal Care Products said.
The first Filmfare award took place in 1954.