Multi-talented film director, producer and screenwriter Kiran Rao has come a long way in making a niche for herself in cinema, without the tag of being referred to as the wife of actor Aamir Khan.
The highly acclaimed director will be speaking at the Indian Express Idea Exchange on Tuesday, (June 17) at 5 pm.
Having completed her schooling in Kolkata, Kiran Rao obtained her Masters degree at AJK Mass Communication Research Center at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
She began her career by working as an assistant director in Ashutosh Gowariker’s internationally acclaimed ‘Lagaan’ which became the third Indian film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
It was here on the sets of ‘Lagaan’ that she met her future husband, Aamir. Not many know recall that Kiran also did a blink-and-miss role in Aamir starrer ‘Dil Chahta Hai’. Kiran also assisted director Mira Nair on the film, ‘Monsoon Wedding’.
But it was her own directorial debut, ‘Dhobi Ghat’ for which she also penned the script, that really made people sit up and take notice of this brilliant filmmaker. Starring Aamir Khan, Prateik Babbar and Monica Dogra, the art film opened to mainly positive reviews, doing well both in India and abroad.
Kiran Rao, who is now happily-married to Aamir with their two-year-old Son Azad, is said to be working on her next project, which is based in Kolkata.
The director also played a big role in the promotion and presentation of Anand Gandhi’s ‘Ship of Theseus’.
Keep watching this space for our live updates from the talented director in a few hours from now. And also follow us on http://twitter.com/IndianExpress for news updates and live tweets.