Multi-talented film director, producer and screenwriter Kiran Rao has come a long way in making a niche for herself in cinema, without the tag of being referred to as the wife of actor Aamir Khan.
The highly acclaimed director will be speaking at the Indian Express Idea Exchange on Tuesday, (June 17) at 5 pm.
Having completed her schooling in Kolkata, Kiran Rao obtained her Masters degree at AJK Mass Communication Research Center at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
She began her career by working as an assistant director in Ashutosh Gowariker’s internationally acclaimed ‘Lagaan’ which became the third Indian film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
It was here on the sets of ‘Lagaan’ that she met her future husband, Aamir. Not many know recall that Kiran also did a blink-and-miss role in Aamir starrer ‘Dil Chahta Hai’. Kiran also assisted director Mira Nair on the film, ‘Monsoon Wedding’.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
But it was her own directorial debut, ‘Dhobi Ghat’ for which she also penned the script, that really made people sit up and take notice of this brilliant filmmaker. Starring Aamir Khan, Prateik Babbar and Monica Dogra, the art film opened to mainly positive reviews, doing well both in India and abroad.
Kiran Rao, who is now happily-married to Aamir with their two-year-old Son Azad, is said to be working on her next project, which is based in Kolkata.
The director also played a big role in the promotion and presentation of Anand Gandhi’s ‘Ship of Theseus’.
Keep watching this space for our live updates from the talented director in a few hours from now. And also follow us on http://twitter.com/IndianExpress for news updates and live tweets.